xsd minOccurs

workaholic06

I have the following element defined in my XSD file: <xs:element name="PartyAKA"> <xs:complexType> <xs:all> <xs:element name="LastOrBusinessName"> <xs:simpleType> <xs:restriction base="xs:string"> <xs:minLength value="1"/> <xs:maxLength value="35"/> </xs:restriction> </xs:simpleType> </xs:element> <xs:element name="FirstName" minOccurs="0"> <xs:simpleType> <xs:restriction base="xs:string"> <xs:minLength value="0"/> <xs:maxLength value="15"/> </xs:restriction> </xs:simpleType> </xs:element> <xs:element name="MiddleName"> <xs:simpleType> <xs:restriction base="xs:string"> <xs:maxLength value="15"/> </xs:restriction> </xs:simpleType> </xs:element> <xs:element name="LastName2"> <xs:simpleType> <xs:restriction base="xs:string"> <xs:maxLength value="20"/> </xs:restriction> </xs:simpleType> </xs:element> <xs:element name="NameSuffix"> <xs:simpleType> <xs:restriction base="xs:string"> <xs:maxLength value="7"/> </xs:restriction> </xs:simpleType> </xs:element> </xs:all> </xs:complexType> </xs:element> When I validate my XML against this XSD, I get the message: The 'urn:myschema:FirstName' element is invalid - The value '' is invalid according to its datatype 'String' - The actual length is less than the MinLength value. I have tried adding the minOccurs="0", and minLength value="0" as shown in the sample above, but the validation error message still occurs. Can someone let me know if they've come across this, and if so, what the solution is? Thanks, Earl

Edited by workaholic06

• 4 months later...

I can't see the problem. You have...

<xs:element name="FirstName" minOccurs="0"><xs:simpleType><xs:restriction base="xs:string"><xs:minLength value="0"/><xs:maxLength value="15"/></xs:restriction></xs:simpleType></xs:element>

The example has...

<xs:element name="password">  <xs:simpleType>	<xs:restriction base="xs:string">	  <xs:minLength value="5"/>	  <xs:maxLength value="8"/>	</xs:restriction>  </xs:simpleType></xs:element>

From http://www.w3schools...hema_facets.asp

Edited by davej