Re: MySQL Database – NOT SAVING USER DETAILS, AFTER FILLING A WEB-FORM

codex...

Hi Guys,

After a user fills out a form on a website, and clicks the submit button, the user details such as name, address and telephone numbers, should be sent to and saved on the database, but on checking the database - nothing at all is saved on the database.

Any possible suggestions, please help.

I can copy and paste the HTML Form code and MySQL if you want.

Thanks,

Codex...

Hi,Thanks for your prompt reply, I have been a bit busy doing other stuff, sorry for my late reply.“A reminder of my main problem – On clicking the submit button, after a web-form has been filled looks O.K, but on checking the MySQL database, there is no data saved inside the database.”THIS IS THE HTML CODE I HAVE USED.<?php{  echo "<form name='registerform' method='post' action='insert.php' enctype='application/x-www-form-urlencoded'>          <p>First name: *</p>      <p><label for='firstname'></label><input type='text' name='firstname' maxlength='35' size='50' tabindex='1' /></p>          <p>Last name: *</p>      <p><label for='lastname'></label><input type='text' name='lastname' maxlength='35' size='50' tabindex='2' /></p>           <p>Email address: *</p>      <p><label for='email address'></label><input type='text' name='email' maxlength='35' size='50' tabindex='3' /></p>          <p>Passsword: *</p>      <p><label for='password'></label><input type='text' name='password' maxlength='35' size='50' tabindex='4' /></p>           <p>Confirm password: *</p>      <p><label for='confirmpassword'></label><input type='password' name='confirmpassword' id="confirmpassword" maxlength='35' size='50' tabindex='5' /></p>            <p><input type='submit' name="submit" value='Submit' /></p></form>”;}?>THIS IS THE MySQL CODE I HAVE USED. <?php$mysqli = new mysqli("host name", "xxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxx");if ($mysqii->connect_error) {die('Connect Error (' . $mysqli->connect_errno . ') '  //CHECK CONNECTION.   . $mysqli->connect_error);}mysql_query("INSERT INTO ws_sessions (user_name, first_name, last_name, email, password, confirm_password) VALUES('$userName', '$firstName', '$lastName', '$email', '$password', '$confirmPassword')");$mysqli->close();?>I hope this is helpful, please feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks!

You're not getting the data from the form. The submitted data will be in $_POST. You also need to change your database code to use prepared statements instead of trying to directly put values in the SQL query.http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_forms.asphttp://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_prepared_statements.asp

Hi,

Thanks for your pointers, the links you sent me, they were very helpful. I have been trying out stuff changing my database code, using prepared statements as you’ve advised, but I get this error message, when I run the code.

After filling a web-form on clicking the submit button, I get this

Fatal error: Call to a member function bind_param() on a non-object in /homepages/18/d440109193/htdocs/welcome.php on line 22

I tried to fix the problem, but I keep getting the same error message, any suggestions to fix this error.

SEE BELOW THE CURRENT CODE.

<?phpsession_start();spl_autoload_extensions(".php");$servername = "localhost";$username = "username";$password = "password";$dbname = "myDB";// CREATE CONNECTION - LINK_IDENTIFIER, MYSQL CONNECTION$conn = new mysqli("xxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxx", "xxxxxxxx");	// CHECK CONNECTIONif ($mysqli->connect_error) {	die('Connect Error (' . $mysqli->connect_errno . ') '	. $mysqli->connect_error);}//PREPARE AND BIND$stmt = $conn->prepare("INSERT INTO Users (username, firstname, lastname, email, password, confirmpassword) VALUES(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)");$stmt->bind_param("ssssss", $username, $firstname, $lastname, $email, $password, $confirmpassword);//SET PARAMETERS AND EXECUTE$username = "";$firstname = "";$lastname = "";$email = "";$password = "";$confirmpassword = "";$stmt->execute();echo "New records created successfully";$stmt->close();$conn->close();?>

any suggestions to fix this,

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I appreciate your help and replies, please help with MySQL problem, my connection to the database is now O.K which I did not get previously, the error I get now on clicking the submit button of a web-form is as follows:

Fatal error: Call to a member function bind_param() on a non-object in /homepages/18/d440109193/htdocs/welcome.php on line 22

any suggestions or help is welcome, please feel free to ask me any questions,

Thanks!

It sounds like there's a MySQL error.

You should check what it is by doing error checking:

$stmt = $conn->prepare("INSERT INTO Users (username, firstname, lastname, email, password, confirmpassword) VALUES(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)");if(!$stmt) {    // Something wrong happened    echo 'MySQL error: ' . $conn->error;}

Hi Guys, thanks for your help, I have tried this out, and this is the message I got, after I did the error checking...

MySQL error:

It did not really tell what the error is, I ran this code a few times and I got the same reply, any possible suggestions are welcome...

Thanx!

Hi Guys, thanks once again for your efforts, mysql stuff is interesting - connection to my host server is now the problem, sometimes I get connected and sometimes I don't, there should be a solution to this I think... am not sure

See the browser output I get below:

Warning: Connect Error (2002) Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysqld.sock' (2)

this is the 'code' I am using now to connect - $mysqli = new mysqli("servername", "username", "password", "dbname");

your suggestions are welcome...

Thanx!

I assume that you substituted the values "servername", "username", "password", and "dbname" with your database server information.