The Decline of StackOverflow

davej

Stackoverflow seems to be in serious decline. Years ago it was a great place, but now it seems to be swamped with people who apparently don't like to answer questions, have limited reading comprehension, and prefer to demonstrate their "authority" in any way possible.

I don't know. I've never actually looked at the StackOverflow community. It's just a site that shows up with answers to my questions when I search on Google.

Yes, it is a great place to search for old answers, but something strange is happening there, because if you carefully search for an answer there, and you don't find it, you might be amazed at what happens when you try to post your question. Rather than answering the question, there are a horde of people there who will try to say your question is in some way defective, unworthy, or vaguely similar to some older already-answered question.

What Foxy wrote goes the same for me as well. It looks very resourseful but never really participated.

Yes, it is a great place to search for old answers, but something strange is happening there, because if you carefully search for an answer there, and you don't find it, you might be amazed at what happens when you try to post your question. Rather than answering the question, there are a horde of people there who will try to say your question is in some way defective, unworthy, or vaguely similar to some older already-answered question.

If that's the case that's unfortunate. I'd go elsewhere.

I have had positive interactions with StackOverflow but haven't contributed / participated in a while, just been really busy. However, it is pretty much always my goto for researching programming related questions when I Google for them.

Funny enough. I recently signed up for them to post questions related to code I am using for my new job. Decided to give it a shot because my coworker uses it and I like others have always found answers to a lot of my problems when I Google for solutions. So far I've experience friendly people. I always stress that I've researched like crazy. Because I have. One very positive thing I have noticed so far is that since it is a huge community, I get responses very fast!

But, I don't have a past with them to compare my experience with!