php

Kevin Castro

Err?, I very much doubt it! it is free open source, very, very popular, not as clunky, or expensive as windows asp.net and used by facebook, google, yahoo, wordpress to name a few. The only people who WISH it would die, probably think crappy IE is the only browser out there, Windows is the only operating system, so asp.net is the only server language out there, and work for MS.

Google and Yahoo don't use PHP. As a server-side language it's good for individuals and small businesses, but not good for larger scale projects.

It's not going to die, but it will never be the optimal server-side language. It's popular due to being free and really easy to learn.

Don't know how accurate this is but for sake of it, this may be a useful list to see who is using what: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages_used_in_most_popular_websites

I don't recall, but why is PHP not good for larger scale projects again? According to the list above, the larger sites that use PHP, use PHP but have created their own versions of PHP so to speak (which is still PHP) like XHP and Hack. I guess they did this because of scaleability issues?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, the core PHP developers have no problem asserting that PHP is fast and scalable. They work on general performance quite a bit to make sure that it stays as fast as it is. There have been several versions where part of the change log indicated that regular PHP code will now execute 25% faster or something, so they're definitely working on performance in general. As deprecated things get removed I would expect that trend to continue also.

• Like 1

If you haven't looked into it, PHP7 is near stable release, and should be quite an overhaul of the underlying engine and a pretty good attempt at starting to remove the cruft. mysql is completly removed, for example. I think PHP is entering a "renaissance" if you will with this release, similar to how JavaScript is also in an upswing, supported by recent advances in EMCAScript 2015 (ES6) and Node.

• Like 1