Erroneous recurring display

ameliabob

I have created an HTML page that will not allow me to move on to a second page. It loads correctly; but when I click on a button it goes though the routine but then reloads the original page. I have tried a number of deletions to pin this down but I am hoping a fresh pair of eyes will see the problem.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en-US"><script type="text/javascript">      function SetStation(whichSta){          stationID = whichSta;          document.getElementById("thisFunction").value = "Input Family Name";          s = "<div id='keyNames'> ";          s += "<input style='font-size:20px'id='thisFunction'  /> ";          s += "</div>";alert(s);                    document.getElementById("myForm").innerHTML = s;      }    </script><head>    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />    <title>Barnabas Family Usage</title><!--    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="barnabas.css" /> --></head><body width='100%'><div id='header'><div id="hdgline" align='center' style >Barnabas Usage</div><table width='100%' align='center' style="background:blue; color:white;">    <td width='10%'><button>Reset</button></td>    <td style='font-size:24px' id="functionToDo" width='80%' align='center'>Function To Do:       <input style='font-size:24px'id='thisFunction' value="Select Station" /></td>    <td width='10%'><button>Help</button></td></table></div><form width='100%'; style="background:#d5dcef;position:absolute; top: 85px; left:0; right:0; bottom:0;"><form id='myForm' ><div style="position:relative; left:40em;"><p class="legend">Select Station</p><fieldset align='center' id="stations"><p id="buttons"><button onclick="SetStation('11')">Crisis</button></p><p id="buttons"><button onclick="SetStation('12')">Dental</button></p><p id="buttons"><button onclick="SetStation('13')">Food Pantry</button></p><p id="buttons"><button onclick="SetStation('14')">Medical</button></p><p id="buttons"><button>Reports (Needs Password)</button></p></fieldset></div></form>  <!-- end of 'myForm' --></form>  <!-- end of main form --></body></html>

One solution is to not wrap the buttons in a form, they're casuing the form to be submitted. Forms are only intended to submit data to other pages, since you're not doing that you don't need a form.

I'd recommend using HTML 5 rather than XHTML Transitional. Using a Transitional doctype was a bad practice even 10 years ago. Validate the HTML When the HTML isn't valid you can't be sure that Javascript will work right.