function arguments

Matej

Hi , i have question , why does function like this

Array.sort(function(a,{return a-b})

and

function showPosition(position) {    lat = position.coords.latitude;    lon = position.coords.longitude;    latlon = new google.maps.LatLng(lat, lon)    mapholder = document.getElementById('mapholder')    mapholder.style.height='250px';    mapholder.style.width='500px';     var myOptions={    center:latlon,zoom:14,    mapTypeId:google.maps.MapTypeId.ROADMAP,    mapTypeControl:false,    navigationControlOptions:{style:google.maps.NavigationControlStyle.SMALL}    }        var map = new google.maps.Map(document.getElementById("mapholder"),myOptions);    var marker = new google.maps.Marker({position:latlon,map:map,title:"You are here!"});}

work , even tho we set arguments , but we dont define them , when you do that in normal function . it breaks the code

(it writes"function isnt deffined")

so how are function like this special?

It's called a callback function. Something else is calling the function and passing the arguments to them

When you call array.sort(), internally the function you gave it is being called and it is being given two elements of the array. I don't see where showPosition is being called.

Here's an example of what a function that uses the callback looks like:

// This is the callback functionfunction callback(a, B) {    return a + b;}// You pass the callback function to this function.// Normally we don't see the source code of this one which is why it looks like no parameters were being passed.function useCallback(c) {    return c(1, 2);}// Let's try it out:alert( useCallback(callback) );
  • Like 1

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><meta charset="utf-8"/><title>title</title><script>window.onerror = function(m, u, l){alert('Javascript Error: '+m+'nURL: '+u+'nLine Number: '+l);return true;}</script><script>function process(){ var funcs = []; var nums = []; var nfuncs=0; var nnums=0; for(var i=0, len=arguments.length ; i<len ; i++) {   if(typeof arguments[i] === 'function'){     funcs[nfuncs] = arguments[i];     nfuncs++;   }else if(typeof arguments[i] === 'number'){     nums[nnums] = arguments[i];     nnums++;   } } if(nnums>1&&nfuncs>0){  alert('Found '+ nnums +' numbers and '+ nfuncs +' functions'); }else{  alert('Found unexpected parameters -- unable to continue');  return;//abort } var result = 0; for(var i=0 ; i<nnums-1 ; i++){  if(i===0){   result = funcs[0](nums[i],nums[i+1]);  }else{   result = funcs[0](result,nums[i+1]);  } }if (nfuncs>1){ funcs[1](result);}return result;}function add(a,B){return a+b;}function finish(ans){alert('All done! The answer is: '+ ans);}var x = process(10,11,12,15,16,add,finish);//var x = process(10,11,add,finish);//var x = process(10,11,12,15,16,add);alert(x);</script></head><body></body>    </html>
  • Like 1