What if... FLASH!

L8V2L

What if adobe made flash open source, but still had it under license?They made it open source to select few individuals which they allow those individuals to recruit other individuals to help redo flash. Adobe gear/goal them toward making flash a rival language towards JavaScript.What if that happen, not being complete but in the process of trying to reach that goal.What would developer say toward that, and what would happen?

It wouldn't happen, Flash support has dropped off enough that people aren't focused there any more. The Era Of Flash ended a few years ago for all intents and purposes. New content that is produced using Flash, like the stuff we produce, is made with the knowledge that it will only run on devices that support a Flash player. If people want mobile-accessible content then we don't use Flash.

It wouldn't happen, Flash support has dropped off enough that people aren't focused there any more. The Era Of Flash ended a few years ago for all intents and purposes. New content that is produced using Flash, like the stuff we produce, is made with the knowledge that it will only run on devices that support a Flash player. If people want mobile-accessible content then we don't use Flash.

You can't say that... remember history! We will never know until that time comes... if it does come.

The time has already come, Flash is dying and it is being replaced. I don't see any reason that would cause developers to reverse on that. The more HTML5 matures, the less need there will be for Flash. It's still the best at doing certain things, but it relies on a plugin and parts of HTML5 were designed specifically to avoid the need for a plugin like Flash. Developers do not want to rely on browser plugins, and you're assuming they will reverse that position and decide that browser plugins are the way to go again. I don't see that happening. Adobe should have pushed to make Flash an open spec that browsers natively support, but that never happened, Adobe wanted to keep control over Flash. They have control over it, and it's dying.

The time has already come, Flash is dying and it is being replaced. I don't see any reason that would cause developers to reverse on that. The more HTML5 matures, the less need there will be for Flash. It's still the best at doing certain things, but it relies on a plugin and parts of HTML5 were designed specifically to avoid the need for a plugin like Flash. Developers do not want to rely on browser plugins, and you're assuming they will reverse that position and decide that browser plugins are the way to go again. I don't see that happening. Adobe should have pushed to make Flash an open spec that browsers natively support, but that never happened, Adobe wanted to keep control over Flash. They have control over it, and it's dying.

... I watch a video on that, in the video the speaker speaks on how big cooperation run by old heads would rather close money if they can't have all of it. But maybe if someone brought flash and gave it to ECMA, I wonder would they try to either use it, or make it an extension of JavaScript, but not part of JavaScript, a different spec and standard but can be use in JavaScript as if it was.I'm not interested in learning flash. I just know, a lot of developer learnt it, and still know it. I just find it interested if adobe just went ahead and sold it to someone who was interested in purchasing it. And they adopted it, to either go hand and hand with JavaScript(as mention earlier) or go against JavaScript as a language that can be use in term of what JavaScript is use for.

Flash isn't a language, it's a platform and an IDE. Flash has more similarities to Java than it does to Javascript. Flash also has its own scripting language, Actionscript, which like Javascript is based on ECMAscript. The reason why mobile devices ultimately dropped support for the Flash player is because it is CPU and battery intensive, and the plugin presents security problems.

Flash isn't a language, it's a platform and an IDE. Flash has more similarities to Java than it does to Javascript. Flash also has its own scripting language, Actionscript, which like Javascript is based on ECMAscript. The reason why mobile devices ultimately dropped support for the Flash player is because it is CPU and battery intensive, and the plugin presents security problems.

Is it worth it to learn action script?(which I wouldn't)...I should be asking other question sense you're answering them...