Advantages ......?

eduard

I´m intending to do something with Flash (CS 3).What are the advantages of a Flash file to e. g. a video?

What advantage do you think you'll get from flash? The whole Apple thing ruined any enthusiasm I had for Flash.

• 2 months later...

My personal opinion is to stay away from flash video (.FLV video files) - and I emphasize "flash video" as opposed to flash which is a programming environment - for three main reasons: 1) Flash video requires the flash player and the flash player is not usable on iOS devices such as the iPAD, iPHONE - if those devices matter to you - and they should because they are becoming more and more ubiquitous. 2) The flash player can, with version 9.3 or greater I believe, play MP4 video (that's also know as AVCHD/H.264). So, in cases where you need to provide video that can play on both regular desktops either Windows or Macs where the flash player IS allowed, MP4 video on those devices will work. In cases where you cannot use the flash player, iOS devices do support the MP4 video format so should have no problem with them (not considering size and bit-rate issues). Using a common format for video,such as the MP4 format, makes using the same video easier to use on both regular PCs and Macs and also mobile devices (though you may still need to re-encode your videos to match the screen sizes more effectively. 3) The other reason to stay away from flash video (.flv) is that it uses older codecs that do not produce the higher quality of H.264 encoded video (AVCHD/MP4) that are possible. As for using Flash itself as a programming environment, that's a different matter altogether. Flash is pretty amazing, though not all that easy to master. But there are things you can do in Flash in terms of animation that are pretty spectacular and that are not easily accomplished, or impossible, any other way. But that is changing. But unless you're writing games, excessive animation on the web can become a real distraction - and it's now considered bad design for many reasons. The trend these days with web design is to steer clear of fancy or unnecessary animation - which is what has given Flash a bad reputation. But I personally love Flash. And if it's used properly it can produce spectacular results.

Edited by ASPete

My personal opinion is to stay away from flash video (.FLV video files) - and I emphasize "flash video" as opposed to flash which is a programming environment - for three main reasons: 1) Flash video requires the flash player and the flash player is not usable on iOS devices such as the iPAD, iPHONE - if those devices matter to you - and they should because they are becoming more and more ubiquitous. 2) The flash player can, with version 9.3 or greater I believe, play MP4 video (that's also know as AVCHD/H.264). So, in cases where you need to provide video that can play on both regular desktops either Windows or Macs where the flash player IS allowed, MP4 video on those devices will work. In cases where you cannot use the flash player, iOS devices do support the MP4 video format so should have no problem with them (not considering size and bit-rate issues). Using a common format for video,such as the MP4 format, makes using the same video easier to use on both regular PCs and Macs and also mobile devices (though you may still need to re-encode your videos to match the screen sizes more effectively. 3) The other reason to stay away from flash video (.flv) is that it uses older codecs that do not produce the higher quality of H.264 encoded video (AVCHD/MP4) that are possible. As for using Flash itself as a programming environment, that's a different matter altogether. Flash is pretty amazing, though not all that easy to master. But there are things you can do in Flash in terms of animation that are pretty spectacular and that are not easily accomplished, or impossible, any other way. But that is changing. But unless you're writing games, excessive animation on the web can become a real distraction - and it's now considered bad design for many reasons. The trend these days with web design is to steer clear of fancy or unnecessary animation - which is what has given Flash a bad reputation. But I personally love Flash. And if it's used properly it can produce spectacular results.
That's a long time ago I posted this thread. I didn't do anything in Flash! I did something with Photoshop (animation). I'm now finishing my website!

• 1 year later...