Escaping Comma

vchris

I have a list and one of my list entries has a comma. How do I escape a comma in a list?Example of the entry:<cfset sectorList = ListAppend(sectorList, "iron,_steel_and_limenite_smelting") />

<cfset sectorList = ListAppend(sectorList, "iron#chr(44)#_steel_and_limenite_smelting") />

That should do it.Use this code to get the numeric value of the chr() function you are looking for:

<cfloop index="x" from="1" to="50"><cfoutput>#x# = #Chr(x)#<br /></cfoutput></cfloop>

Increase the "to" value here to something like 5000 or 50000 to get even more characters.:)

As I think about it more, that might not work either . . . I'd have to look into this a little more if it doesn't.Are you able to replace it with some other value that you could then translate whenever this information is retrieved again?

Yeah I just tried it out and it doesn't work. See for yourself:<cfset myList = "john#chr(44)# test" /><cfloop index="i" list="#myList#"> <cfoutput>#i#</cfoutput></cfloop>Could I change the default delimiter to something else?EDIT:I got it! I replaced the default delimiter by a !. It works perfectly.

oh oh got another problem.See I have this drop down that is populated with this coldfusion list I created. Then when a selection is made a list of links appears underneath the drop down that the user can click on to go view a certain document.So I have:<cfset sectorList = ListAppend(sectorList, "iron,_steel_and_limenite_smelting","!") /><cfset iron,_steel_and_limenite_smelting = '<a href="##">link 1</a>,<a href="##">link 2</a>' />but the comma is not accepted in a variable name. Basically I have the drop down option value equal to the coldfusion variable. All the option in my drop down have a list of their own links. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this but I thought it was simpler than arrays and easier to update. If you have a better way of doing this let me know.

Archived