How to build a HTML5 web game?

p595285902

HTML5 Game development by examples by packetpub is a good one, i can remember. Game is more than the basic as is far away from website developing. If you are going to make browser games you need to have strong particulerly in javascript. There is DOM based games,canvas based games.It is all depends on the game.if you want realtime games you have to use canvas for graphic manupulation for better performance as DOM access is resource heavy. If you be specific what ttype of game you are trying to develop we can point you to more resources. I am not aware of any websites that teaches step by step guide for game developing. but there is forum,you can look for forum dedicated for game devloping (every kind of).

Forgetting about HTML 5, first you have to know basic programming logic. Game programming is one of the more difficult programming tasks. Ideally, when you know how to program games it doesn't matter what language you use.

Javascript should take no effort to learn.
The canvas API will take some effort though. I've been tinkering with it for quite a while now and have succeeded in doing almost nothing. :( Though I did manage to recreate the very simple game, Snake. ^_^ There's a great tutorial here, though, which has helped me significantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Coo

Quick google search, got this as a result: http://www.canvasdem...ment-tutorials/ seems like a good start to me.
Site is cool in link.Thanks for putting it here!.I also want to make my own games later.I already have stories in my head lol.I see that people speak of making games on the net but no one mentions about being worried if their storys/games would be stolen.With websites it is probably easier to proof who the original owner is for everything but I dont know what steps to take to pervent my games/stories from being stolen and to proof ownership?. I try googleing for the answer but it didnt work.I rather use an alias name when i make games.....Also when i have websites online im going to use an alias name as well( i already have whoisguard) p595285.....:hey i found a site that has a section about game developement and there are other web languages there.im not sure if im allowed to put it here because of the other web lang but i guess it is ok since the others did it too with no problems. http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/forum/108-game-programming-tutorials/

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody thinking of writing a serious game in a browser should probably look at unity. This is the middleware that most game developers are using to create browser and mobile compatible gaming. I am going the opposite way. I have spent 30 years in the games industry and I am now learner web development. (BTW 25 of those years in the games industry where in management so my programming is quite rusty!) But I have written about 15 games as a programmer (1982-1989) From what I have heard from programmers working on games, HTML5 canvas with Javascript is not really up to the job yet. And I am not just talking about 3D extravagansa's I am also talking about 2D games that throw a lot around the screen. Not sure about using Java, maybe that is a solution and I know there is flash, but with apple not allowing flash onto iphone & ipad then that kind of puts that out the question. So currently it looks like Unity is the best bet. I did not learn 3D though so if anybody knows a good 2D system that could say replicate a complex side scrolling shooter with parallax layers etc then let me know!