Using Github As A Central Version Control System

skaterdav85

I have created a test project on git hub and added a github user as a collaborator to the project under the project admin settings. I had him clone the repo, make some changes, and try and push back to github, but it isn't working. Essentially he typed in these commands: $ git clone git://github.com/skaterdav85/TestProject.gitChanged the files and pushing to GitHub repo$ git push git@github.com/skaterdav85/TestProject.git master He gets this error though:Permission denied (publickey).fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly Any idea what this means or how to fix it? He has pushed to his own repo's before on github.

I think cloning is not supposed to write back to the original repository. It is instead a fully independent non synchonizable copy.Instead of cloning, the other user should use "git init", and then "fetch" and/or "remote update" (I'm not sure if the order matters, or if one of these is enough; I'm new to git myself). The pushes would then be done as if this is his own repository.The alternative is the "fork & pull" approach, but that's for contributors ("Hey, a small correction, and I'll be leaving"), not collaborators ("You do X, I do Y... let's go!").[edit]Actually, this page on Github suggests a different possibility... to set up a new remote, and push to that rather than "origin".[/edit]

Actually, my friend may have been doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what he was exactly doing wrong because I wasn't at his computer with him. However, he did create a repository on his account and added me as a collaborator and this was my workflow:

1. git clone
  2. cd into the clone
  3. made some changes to the cloned copy
  4. git add .
  5. git commit -m 'new commits'
  6. git push origin master
  7. If step 6 failed because my local copy wasn't in sync with the remote copy, I had to first do: git pull origin master, and then do git push origin master

The problem might have been because he didn't do an add and a commit to his local repository first before pushing to github, but I'm not sure.

Archived