Linux, Unix, and Wordpress

L8V2L

Wordpress is a framework.

I would call it a CMS more than a framework.

What is Linux, Unix, and Wordpress?

did you google at all? there is ton's of info available for all of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordpress

did you google at all? there is ton's of info available for all of these [/url]

Yes, but I would like it better in plain English, for I am not wizard yet.

Linux and Unix are operating systems and Wordpress is a framework.

Can you go a little more in depth?What's an operating system?What's a framework?CVM?

Did you offer I.C.T in high school? These are simple concepts. The OS controls the functions of your system; UNIX and LINUX are examples. Google what a CMS is. It allows you to create a website easily without hardcore programming - just light coding here and there. I'm also a learner: pardon my ignorance. IMO.

Edited by Jonathanks

adhd, thescientist is right.

wizard on not, you have to make a stab at the docs on your own else progress will be difficult.

for example, i always thought of wordpress as a framework. thescientist said it's a cms. i've never used wordpress so thescientist just put me on notice that there's something there for me to learn. that's how this forum (and all forums) work.

What's an operating system?

Yikes. Seriously, look it up. This reminds me of the quote on bash.org.

#3936 +(7065)- [X]<+kritical> christin: you need to learn how to figure out stuff yourself..<+Christin1> how do i do that

Did you offer I.C.T in high school?

That's good your community was so supported of your learning. But not all are privilege to such... Care.Thank you for your respond, and sharing.

adhd, thescientist is right. wizard or not, you have to make a stab at the docs on your own else progress will be difficult.

I do, but I'll still ask for clarity sake.

The OS controls the functions of your system; UNIX and LINUX are examples. Google what a CMS is. It allows you to create a website easily without hardcore programming - just light coding here and there.

MOAR on Unix and Linux, please.

Coding topics that involve actual code are much easier. They're either up or out.

This feels like it could go on for ever..

.... No help at all.

Let me point out the obvious, which you obviously are not understanding:When you are in a discipline like computer science, your job is to solve problems. Programs are solutions to problems. When you have a particular problem, or a question, or you're trying to learn something new, or how something works, if your first response is to ask people then that's a major problem. You will never be successful if you do not know how to research. Knowing how to do research is an absolutely integral part of a job like programming. I do research every day to answer my own questions, whether that means figuring out how to use a particular language, or a feature of the language, or an API, or when I'm debugging, or looking into error messages, etc. I'm researching. The reason you don't see me posting questions here is not because I never have questions when I'm working, it's because I know how to find the answers myself without needing to ask anyone.There is no reason why things should be any different for you. It doesn't matter what disorders you might have, it doesn't matter where you're from, how old you are, what your gender is, what color your skin is, who you live with, if you have a disability, where your parents were born, where you were born, what language you speak, etc. Take your education into your own hands. Research is not difficult. Instead of coming on here and posting extremely basic questions about very broad topics, how about going to Google and typing "What is an operating system?" What's the problem with doing that? You know what Google is going to show you? It's going to show you a list of all kinds of articles, papers, definitions, examples, etc that you can go through. I don't want to hear some lame excuse about not being able to understand this or that, there are tons of things that explain everything completely differently that you could be reading. When I hear excuses about not being able to understand, what I take away from that is that you clicked on one or two things, read a few sentences, got lazy, didn't try, and decided to just ask a question and let other people take the time to answer it. You could have answered these questions yourself with a few minutes of very basic research, but instead it's, what, almost 5 hours later and you still don't have an answer.People will not do your research for you. Learn how to do it yourself, it's not difficult and it is an essential skill for any job that you seem to be trying to pursue here. The introduction alone of the Wikipedia article on operating systems, for example, lists 9 examples. It lists types of operating systems, the history of them, several examples of modern OSs, the components that make up an OS, etc. Sorry if this is hard to hear, but if you can read that entire article and still not have any idea about what an operating system is or what it does, then you are absolutely not cut out for programming. Sorry if that bursts your bubble, but if you can't do basic research and understand what you're reading then this career is not for you. Programmers have to do research, and when they don't understand something they seek out other resources in order to get other viewpoints or help them understand concepts that they have problems with. Start learning that skill now, do not sit there and wait for people like us to spend our time to answer all of your most basic questions. I for one have no desire at all to help someone who does not show any effort to try and help themselves.
  • Like 1

Operating system is the universe that we know of. It's been created/programmed by... what we currently understand as the 'best' programmer in existence. This programmer is known by many names, depending on your belief system(if you have one). ;)

On a smaller scale, some would say Bill Gates created a universe(Operating system) once called MS-DOS. Then from there, this universe expanded, sorta like how our universe does, from MS-DOS to Windows 1.0, then to 2.0, 3.0, Windows 95, Windows 98, etc etc. :happy0046:

Operating system is the universe that we know of. It's been created/programmed by... what we currently understand as the 'best' programmer in existence. This programmer is known by many names, depending on your belief system(if you have one). ;) On a smaller scale, some would say Bill Gates created a universe(Operating system) once called MS-DOS. Then from there, this universe expanded, sorta like how our universe does, from MS-DOS to Windows 1.0, then to 2.0, 3.0, Windows 95, Windows 98, etc etc. :happy0046:

Oh! OS is the environment that our program thrive in. It what make it possible to interface. It's more than just an interpret for the language! A simple cellphone is an OS!!!MOAR!!!! HAHAHA MOAR!!!

Operating system is the universe that we know of. It's been created/programmed by... what we currently understand as the 'best' programmer in existence. This programmer is known by many names, depending on your belief system(if you have one). ;) On a smaller scale, some would say Bill Gates created a universe(Operating system) once called MS-DOS. Then from there, this universe expanded, sorta like how our universe does, from MS-DOS to Windows 1.0, then to 2.0, 3.0, Windows 95, Windows 98, etc etc. :happy0046:

Oh! OS is the environment that our program thrive in. It what make it possible to interface. It's more than just an interpret for the language! A simple cellphone is an OS!!!MOAR!!!! HAHAHA MOAR!!!

Let me point out the obvious, which you obviously are not understanding:When you are in a discipline like computer bla bla bla

I read what your typing justsomeguy, and even know you are harsh with your words--like always-- I was more so hoping of getting a discussion started with this. But I read what type. Thanks.

On a smaller scale, some would say Bill Gates created a universe(Operating system) once called MS-DOS.

Fun fact: Bill Gates did not write DOS, he bought it for $75,000 in 1981. In fact, he first sold the operating system to IBM, and then he went out and bought it (and Microsoft then did additional work before giving it over to IBM). He didn't even own it when he sold it to IBM. Bill Gates is a fantastic businessman, and a pretty decent programmer too.

A simple cellphone is an OS!!!

No it's not. A cell phone is hardware. See what happens when you go around asking people and getting opinions instead of doing actual research?

I was more so hoping of getting a discussion started with this.

You hope to get a discussion out of the question "what is an operating system?" An operating system is a specific, well-defined thing. You are not looking for a discussion, you are looking for a definition. The definition is out there, just waiting for you to read it. It doesn't require a discussion. That's like asking "what is a gun" and expecting a "discussion" about the history of firearms. Instead of asking for a definition about something that you can very easily find out yourself, just skip that step and actually go find out yourself.It's like you go around and read things, find a term you don't understand, and your immediate reaction is to go ask a group of strangers instead of actually trying to seek out the knowledge for yourself. The knowledge is out there. Go seek it out.If you actually want a discussion then find out what an operating system is first, and then come back and discuss it. You're using an operating system right now. Learn about what you're using and then you might be able to form an intelligent question about it.

Linux and Unix seem to be at odd. One source make it sound like the only to need operating system the other source make the same statement worded differently. So far I'll pick unix for it's modular use. Also Linux's mascot tux make it seem complicated.... I don't know why. But the mascot make it seem like it'll be harder to learn.

I hope this helps a bit. Your cellphone is a hardware, just as Justsomeguy said. Get that. The hardware cannot run that browser (software) without an OS. If you're using a java phone, then you're using javaOS. If you're using an iphone, then you're using iOS, etc. Then these operating systems are regularly updated and upgraded to improve functions. That's why you see different versions of MS DOS, UNIX, JAVA, ANDROID (e.g jellybean) etc. Consequently, these upgrades are followed by upgrades in softwares run on these OS. That's why you can have new softwares to support new features. Softwares like browsers can run on different OS. They just need to be coded to run on each one. That's why you have extensions like .jar, .sis, .apk, etc. IMO.Regarding my education, it's not better here than over there. You get.

Edited by Jonathanks

Also Linux's mascot tux make it seem complicated.... I don't know why. But the mascot make it seem like it'll be harder to learn.

That's one of the strangest statements I've seen.

So far I'll pick unix for it's modular use.

Seriously, do some research about the two and figure out what the entire purpose of Linux is before "picking" one. Maybe start with Wikipedia.

I hope this cures your ailment a bit (sorry if that sounds harsh). Your cellphone is a hardware, just as Justsomeguy said. Get that. The hardware cannot run that browser (software) without an OS. If you're using a java phone, then you're using javaOS. If you're using an iphone, then you're using iOS, etc. Then these operating systems are regularly updated and upgraded to improve functions. That's why you see different versions of MS DOS, UNIX, JAVA, ANDROID (e.g jellybean) etc. Consequently, these upgrades are followed by upgrades in softwares run on these OS. That's why you can have new softwares to support new features. Softwares like browsers can run on different OS. They just need to be coded to run on each one. That's why you have extensions like .jar, .sis, .apk, etc. IMO.

Ms-dos(f ms), Linux, and Unix is what mostly come up when I search for unix.I can't seem to find a computer that host unix. It must be a downloadable os?iOS is not the same as Mac OS... Right?It seem to what I have learn is that all os is base on a structural programming bias of the karnal. With the terminal as the outer shall UI. Another level up is you have the GUI.

Regarding my education, it's not better here than over there. I'm struggling with it. I'm even hoping to study abroad. You get.

I can't seem to find a computer that host unix. It must be a downloadable os?

You can download Solaris from Oracle if you really want to. You can set up a new computer and install Solaris on it. You could also download OpenSolaris.

iOS is not the same as Mac OS... Right?

Right.