Please review my webmasters/web development forums: http://devyourweb.com

devyourweb.com

Congratulations, you successfully installed a discussion board and "customized" a header graphic.There is not much to "critique" here other than wondering how you will make this stand out from all the other similar web development forums - its seems too broad.

Well, what were you expecting? What are we supposed to critique? The forum structure? :)

I've posted reviews in over 20 forums, in all of those, exactly everyone found something to critique. Like hundreds of people have posted an opinion, suggestion or feedback. If you can't really come up with anything, I'd say you are the guy with problems.

I don't know... its too ordinary in my opinion. Like any other of those other hundreds of web development forums out there just like it (including this one :) )And I can't say the record of replies in other forums is that good.http://forums.xaos-ia.com/index.php?topic=632&page=1http://www.davidcastle.org/BB/review-http-...rum-vt4753.htmlYou have got some replies like the ones abovehttp://www.helpingwebmasters.com/website-r...12395;topicseenhttp://www.htmlforums.com/website-review/t...com-102225.html(I couldn't resist checking after your post :) )Concentrate - even though you have not received feedback as you may have on other forums there is always something to learn from posts. Imagine if Skemkin was a potential new member of your forums? What does he think visiting the site for the first time? Will he like it, or will he be detracted by the conventional appearance and lack of specifics?Also, remember on this site we are more into critiquing unique designs and custom web applications.

That was just a bunch of sites. If you go through all my review topics, you will understand I am right.You guys up are basically only telling me how bad my forums is, but that's not really what I would like to hear. It's okay to say it's bad, but tell me how I can improve it. If you are not willing to give me that, then don't even bother to answer.Don't go on with lack of specifics even though that might be so true...(ok that doesn't help a bloody smack) instead, tell me what kind of specifics I could add. I'm not going to dig deeper in this useless conversation because it has no value, but I suggest you to inform an administrator immediately to change the rules so the other people like me (who doesn't got a unique design nor a custom web application) won't have the same issue when asking for a review.I don't expect any answer but you should really change the rules, maybe try something like this:"People with bad sites may not post in this forum."

That was just a bunch of sites. If you go through all my review topics, you will understand I am right.
There's no right or wrong with what comes down to subjective opinion.
You guys up are basically only telling me how bad my forums is
It's not really bad. Nor is it particularly good, however. It's just... bland. Personally all I can do is wish you good luck with getting members, it's really down to the fates, could go very well and could go nowhere. Either way I don't think a webdevelopment forum can be directly bad. But there are a lot, and yours doesn't stand out. How you can improve it and make it stand out I'm not able to say, because I don't know the target you're aiming at, like is there a spesific technology that spearheads the forum, is there a parent developing site with tutorials that the forum is based on (like this, most people come to the forums through w3schools.com).
I'm not going to dig deeper in this useless conversation because it has no value,
Hey, that's your call to make.
but I suggest you to inform an administrator immediately to change the rules so the other people like me (who doesn't got a unique design nor a custom web application) won't have the same issue when asking for a review.
We ARE critiquing it, but you just don't want to hear the answer. Uniqueness and innovativeness is what marks the web, and on a broader level the entire economic system and society/culture. Sorry, but that's how it works, and that's what people have been telling you so far, that the forum is ok, but there's nothing really making the forum stand out. This forum for instance can almost afford to be bland, because it has a solid basis in the tutorials site w3schools.com, and thus there's a lot of experienced webdevelopers and good help to be gotten. That again attracts more people.
I don't expect any answer but you should really change the rules, maybe try something like this:"People with bad sites may not post in this forum."
Why shouldn't they be allowed?

Thank you menz, I appreciate nice people.
Thank you. I appreciate nice people too.
I've posted reviews in over 20 forums, in all of those, exactly everyone found something to critique. Like hundreds of people have posted an opinion, suggestion or feedback. If you can't really come up with anything, I'd say you are the guy with problems.
I found and shared something to critique as well. How come you have chosen to attack me rather than ask me to elaborate on my thoughts?
That was just a bunch of sites. If you go through all my review topics, you will understand I am right.
Most of those replies give feedback on what is functionally working or not - that is testing. Critiquing a site is totally different and usually includes some background information like the mission of the site or future plans - something to base the critique off of. In some of the situations, it took more than 2 weeks to get a reply and you even had a conversation with yourself for while in one - at least there are folks here willing to discuss this with you (for now). What are you "right" about anyway?
You guys up are basically only telling me how bad my forums is, but that's not really what I would like to hear. It's okay to say it's bad, but tell me how I can improve it. If you are not willing to give me that, then don't even bother to answer.Don't go on with lack of specifics even though that might be so true...(ok that doesn't help a bloody smack) instead, tell me what kind of specifics I could add.
A critique is not a statement or collection of thoughts that is necessarily going to be want you want to hear. If you had some preconceived ideas of where folks should focus their criticism, then you should have shared it. Any critique is better than no critique.
I'm not going to dig deeper in this useless conversation because it has no value, but I suggest you to inform an administrator immediately to change the rules so the other people like me (who doesn't got a unique design nor a custom web application) won't have the same issue when asking for a review.I don't expect any answer but you should really change the rules, maybe try something like this:"People with bad sites may not post in this forum."
Our rules do not need to be restated. Did you read the "Before You Post" topic (http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=15248), specifically the second sentence in the last paragraph? You seem to be complaining about a lack of criticism and/or the fact that it did not meet your expectations (of which none were communicated). There have been plenty of other folks that have posted in this section that have received harsh criticism for their work but have been able to handle it much better than you have.If you have a serious problem with the way you have been received here and you have reviewed your responses and feel that you have been very reasonable and very helpful, then send me a Private Message and I will address the issues myself. If you feel that I am not the appropriate moderator/administrator to deal with your situation, please feel free to find another(http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=Stats&CODE=leaders).From here, you can either accept the criticism (or lack there of) that you have received, specify more clearly what type of feedback you would like to receive, or drop the matter all together and move on.I sincerely hope that you find it in your "heart" to simply reply with more clarifying statements regarding what specifically you would like folks to examine and critique (i.e. the design/skin or the discussion topics/categories or the fact that there is nothing else to the site - not even an about us section).

i haven't read these posts because there are too many and at a glance it looks like a flame fest.all i'd say is, it really isn't much different / unique from anything else - if you can make it a brand new idea then great.p.s. if the first post you see is one that sais it's boring and uneventfull then you can count it as bitchy. if the next 5 posts say the same thing then maybe you should start taking on the criticism positively and thinking how you can make it better rather than fighting a lost battle.

First thought the website takes some time to load but now that it has donenice simple theme the header can be better doesnt seem much professional and web development type you know what I mean and also the favicon is totally unrelatedand I cant access any topic which is not good .. guest should atleast be allowed to read !

It loads pretty quick for me, I like the header graphic, and the overall look is pleasantly clean.However, Synook and Skemcin have a point. You need to find a way to make the site unique. Find a niche, or find some way to make it more than just an ordinary developer board. ProBlogger.net has some good advice on niches (I know it's ProBlogger, not Pro-forum-er, but the advice still applies).

• 6 years later...

I just went over a list of forum accounts that I have and found this thread - and I have been laughing for a couple of minutes. I was not a very mature and experienced web developer, lets just say.

Thanks for the criticism guys, I now realize that it wasn't bad at all.

That was my first website, I made it when I was about 16 years old. Today I'm 22 and I make a living online and running the company from Malta.

A funny bump, but I just had to write a comment about this!

Once again, a late thank you to all the answers in this thread!

• Like 1