use correct & compact syntax

TAB

The tutorials should use strict syntax (as a model for those who learn by example). For example, infunction myFunction(p1, p2) { return p1 * p2; // the function returns the product of p1 and p2}the semicolon is useless. The novice who does not know that the semicolon is a separator (not a terminator) will be lead to believe that it is required after the last statement.Furthermore, the equivalent formfunction myFunction (p1, p2) {return p1*p2}//returns the product of p1 and p2is more compact AND more legible. Putting a single brace on the final line may be preferred by some (even though it gobbles editing-window space up), but it should not be used so systematically that the novice will think it is a syntactical requirement.

Having code on separate lines is more legible. It's a good practice to terminate all your lines with a semi-colon so that when you write a new line after it you don't forget it.

If you want to get technical, Javascript will run just fine with no semi-colon on any of the lines.

• 2 weeks later...

but it should not be used so systematically that the novice will think it is a syntactical requirement.

I'd much rather have the novice assume that well-indented code is a syntactical requirement versus assuming that single-line code is a syntactical requirement. This obviously assumes that the novice will assume that anything they see is a requirement, which is the assumption that you seem to make.Surely you aren't suggesting that something like this:
function changeVideoQual(){  if(videoQuality == 'low'){videoQuality = 'high';$('#nav_quality').html('<i class="icon-cog"></i> low band')}  else{videoQuality = 'low';$('#nav_quality').html('<i class="icon-cog"></i> high band')}  if(runningIntro === true || atMenu){alert('Video Quality has been changed.')}  else{replayPage()}}
is more legible and maintainable than this:
function changeVideoQual(){    if(videoQuality == 'low'){        videoQuality = 'high';        $('#nav_quality').html('<i class="icon-cog"></i> low band');    }else{        videoQuality = 'low';        $('#nav_quality').html('<i class="icon-cog"></i> high band');    }    if(runningIntro === true || atMenu){        alert('Video Quality has been changed.');    }else{        replayPage();    }}
If that's what you're suggesting, then you're probably the only one. Legibility is subjective, after all, and many programmers prefer the second style. It even has a name. Many programmers prefer K&R style.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indent_styleThe first form of "putting everything in a block on one line" doesn't have a name.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...