Linux, Unix, and Wordpress

L8V2L

You can download Solaris from Oracle if you really want to. You can set up a new computer and install Solaris on it. You could also download OpenSolaris.

Wouldn't I fair better at downloading illumos? Since it's open source. Or should start out with a more restricted unix, e.g. like Solaris, until I can get the hang of it.

I think scout1idf hit the nail on the head (#26).

Deja vu all over again.

Edited by niche

The other question is: why Unix over Linux? What's the difference between the two? What was the goal of creating Linux?

I answer this question already. Tux Linux mascot make the system seem hard to learn.And since --from what I comprehend-- Linux, like GUN is a unix-like os. So I would rather see what the copies try to copy from.The goal for creating Linux--from what I comprehend-- is to make an open source version of Unix. Edited by L8V2L

To get more involve in the server side.

For most purposes, the operating system is irrelevant to server-side web development. One or two PHP functions work only on Linux but not on Windows, or the other way around.

It's not normal for web developers to be managing servers, either. You buy server space from a hosting company and they do the work for you, or hire a system administrator to manage your own physical servers if you have any.

For most purposes, the operating system is irrelevant to server-side web development. One or two PHP functions work only on Linux but not on Windows, or the other way around. It's not normal for web developers to be managing servers, either. You buy server space from a hosting company and they do the work for you, or hire a system administrator to manage your own physical servers if you have any.

Yes, but I desire to program on the server side too. And I'm not all knowledgeable how it all work. I'm just reaching for knowledge.Maybe you could give more info? Edited by L8V2L

To program on the server-side you use PHP, ASP, C++, C#, Ruby on Rails, Perl or any of many server-side programming languages. The operating system is irrelevant.

You also have to focus on learning just one thing until you've mastered it. You made it your goal to learn Javascript, but you're not finished with Javascript yet. If you want to give up Javascript and try server-side programming, you can try PHP because it's free. You don't need Linux or Unix for that.

...If you want to give up Javascript.....

... I haven't giving up on ECMAScript! ECMAScript is my server side programming language. ECMASCRIPT 4 LIFE!Give me information!!!!! Edited by L8V2L

I answer this question already. Tux Linux mascot make the system seem hard to learn.

So your rationale for not wanting to play with the single most-used operating system on internet web servers is because you think the overweight, seated, smiling penguin mascot somehow makes it seem hard to learn? Instead of seriously looking into what both of them are, you got turned off by the fat happy penguin? Have you considered that Linux and Unix use virtually the exact same commands, hence the description that Linux is a "Unix-like" OS? That the entire purpose of creating Linux was to have an operating system compatible with Unix that was free and open source? Do you understand why I don't take your questions seriously when you come here and ask "what is an operating system?"Here's a homework assignment for you: think of as many web hosts as you can, and go to their websites and look at their hosting packages. Pay attention to the operating systems that they offer. Then come back and tell me if you think it's a better idea to get started with Unix or Linux.Regardless of which one you choose, here are your options:1. Get a new computer, or find an old one that you don't care about (or just back up all of the data on your current computer). Find the installation instructions for the operating system you want to install and either go through the process of installing the single operating system, or set up a dual-boot machine where you can boot to either Windows or another OS.2. Find a web host that offers accounts which give you access to a virtual machine with a shell.Whatever you choose, you'll also want to find a forum where you can ask your questions, installing and using an OS is out of scope of this forum. Maybe start by telling them you aren't too sure what an operating system is and you want to install Unix and play around with it, see what their answers are.Regardless of what you decide, since this is out of scope for this forum I'm going to close the topic.