I could use some coding help...

colin_7

Hey everyone,
I'm pretty green in web design and the company I work for is building a website where they want to feature a custom builder type page. So basically customers can get on the site, design their own simple thing and get an invoice for it. Sorry that might be hard to understand, but here is an example of what I'm talking about.
If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

That's fairly intensive. In general, you'll use a lot of ajax communication with a database backend that contains all of the options, image information, and prices. That particular site also uses a canvas to render the different options, which is a good way to do it.

A simple-minded version of this might just swap displayed images based on values entered into a form. The page could submit the form to itself.

I can see something like that. All server side to begin with. Just use a form to start assembling a bike. You'd just need a lot of images.

EDIT:

Too many choices isn't always a good thing.

Plus dave's idea would let you get your "head in the game".

Edited by niche

I love bicycle. It would be great in 3D image, with flash app.

ps: I wonder, if you create paths for the bicycle outlines (filled white/transparent) as svg, and use the color buttons to modify its fill, would it be more 'lightweight' instead using pictures?

pretty much just HTML

You can't do this with just HTML. Your company will need to consider a server-side technology for this website, and this choice could be influenced by the possible choice of a "content management system" (CMS).

ask around on the site just don't pay until they finish a project. phase if you need to.