.htaccess File

j.silver

Dear all,

As you know, an .htaccess file placed in a directory to be affected (protected) is useful in websites hosted in an Appache server to protect such directories from prying eyes. But I have noticed that recommendation is to place such files inside certain directories only, e.g., inside includes and views (that contains home page, shopping cart, listing of products, etc.) directories.

I thought we could as well protect all other directories should there be no downside to protecting all. Any thoughts on why we should not include an .htaccess file inside all directories will be appreciated.

You wouldn't need it inside directories you don't want to protect. The more directories you have, the harder it's going to be to keep track of all your .htaccess files.

You could also just have one .htaccess file in the root and use directives to choose which folders and files to protect.

Many thanks Ingolme

You could also just have one .htaccess file in the root and use directives to choose which folders and files to protect.

Which of the two methods (placing it inside the desired directory or your above suggestion) is better in terms of better protection or overall performance of the website or any other reason?

Both options are exactly the same regarding protection and performance.

The method you use depends on which one you find easier to maintain. Do you prefer larger amount of code in one file or small pieces of code in multiple files?

Many thanks for your clarification. I have not come across how to do it the way you suggested. I would appreciate sharing any handy reliable source of example of how to do it, or I would just search the web.

The Apache project recommends that instead of using .htaccess files, you put all directives in the main server configuration file, so that Apache does not need to scan for and process .htaccess files in every directory when someone requests a file.

If you want to put rules for several directories inside one file, you can use location directives to say what each set of rules applies to. .htaccess files will also affect directories below the directory they are in, so it is redundant to put them in every directory unless the settings for each directory are different than their parent.

The Apache project recommends that instead of using .htaccess files, you put all directives in the main server configuration file, so that Apache does not need to scan for and process .htaccess files in every directory when someone requests a file.

I would second this. Here is the Apache documentation that is helpful in implementing this through server configuration instead of .htaccess

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/rewrite/avoid.html

• 1 year later...

i need help with this also  this is the structure apache reads the config file so i read  

this is the order the directives should be in
everything should go between the vitual host tags

<VirtualHost *:80>
   DocumentRoot "C:/xampp/htdocs/example
   ServerName    example.com

<Directory /srv/www/example.com/public_html/images>
   Order Allow,Deny
   Allow from all
   Deny 55.1
</Directory>

the  .htacess is read at the same time as the directory 

<DirectoryMatch>
<Directory ~>

<Files>
<FilesMatch>

<Location>
<LocationMatch>

im trying to learn this right  now this is as far as i have  understood so far  correct me if im wrong  but this all should go inside you httpd-vhost.conf between your <VirtualHost*80>......</VirtualHost>

Edited by codeminer

Merry Christmas  i hope your doing well . I m try to create a per user dir  so each user will be able to create there own  music projects.  in order to make it work i need to give each member their own  directory  i have everything  built at this point but its all worthless with out each project  having there own directories . i been trying to get a grip on its  pretty slippery to grasp  i have crashed apache so many times . if you have any input on this i would be greatful im not exactly sure  where to start   i created the virtual host  need to understand how to set the user dir =  path   dont know if i should turn off the doc root  once figure that  i guess i need to  go conf directives  turn on the  user dir module.so   i want to do it right  just need to find the beging and deal with each step 

here is directory structure 

• main folder http
  • login system ?  i think i should put the login system outside the  main folder and redirect once login
  • users, home, ~username,public_html

i have all the  files that need to be shared  in the the public html directory  .need to know how to create the path/ to / files  so i can get apache to load  new instances of them when called

Edited by codeminer

Merry christmas,

.htaccess files are a hidden files that are available on server to control the visitors of your website. .htaccess file is a configuration file which first detected and executed by Apache web server. In cpanel you can check the .htaccess file through the file manager. By default .htaccess files are hidden.