my first site

coolcars

Pretty good for a first but your site needs quite a bit of work. Did you get into much CSS yet?http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.aspEven just styling the anchors black and with an underline when a user hovers over them would make the site a lot better.I'd put the site inside a table too.With your anchors on the left, the image with the description above it in the middle, and maybe some advertisements/misc on the right. It can be left blank too if you want.Really nice for a first by the way. :)

Yeah, it is the support forums.
I toke some sugestions like alligning the pic with the links but i could not get it validated with that site.Could some one explain what sniffy meant by "I'd put the site inside a table too."Thanks for infoDylan

I toke some sugestions like alligning the pic with the links but i could not get it validated with that site.Could some one explain what sniffy meant by "I'd put the site inside a table too."Thanks for infoDylan
Tables, although not intended for this use, are commonly used to control the content of your site.For instance, they allow you to make two columns and then store stuff in each. For your site, you might put your navigation (Mustangs, Corvettes, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Oldsmobiles, Porsches) in a left column and then the pictures of the cars in the right.Like this:
COOL CARS<br>Heres the best place for COOL CARS!<br>Here Is The Coolest Cars. <br><table><tr><td valign="top">Mustangs<br>Corvettes<br>Ferraris<br>Lamborghinis<br>Oldsmobiles<br>Porsches<br></td><td valign="top">[insert all your images here]</tr></table>Thank you for visiting my site<br>

Do this on every page and your visitor will be able to navigate your site more freely - without having to use the back button and it gives some consistency.As far as validating, you will want to put the code I gave you and whatever you modify in between the body tags in this snippet of code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title>Cool Cars</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"></head><body><!-- your code here --></body></html>

This stuff tells the browser, or whatever else is looking at your site, what to expect. just basically pretexting.That should get you started.

the colors are not wvery soothing to the eye

Tables, although not intended for this use, are commonly used to control the content of your site.For instance, they allow you to make two columns and then store stuff in each. For your site, you might put your navigation (Mustangs, Corvettes, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Oldsmobiles, Porsches) in a left column and then the pictures of the cars in the right.Like this:
COOL CARS<br>Heres the best place for COOL CARS!<br>Here Is The Coolest Cars. <br><table><tr><td valign="top">Mustangs<br>Corvettes<br>Ferraris<br>Lamborghinis<br>Oldsmobiles<br>Porsches<br></td><td valign="top">[insert all your images here]</tr></table>Thank you for visiting my site<br>

Do this on every page and your visitor will be able to navigate your site more freely - without having to use the back button and it gives some consistency.As far as validating, you will want to put the code I gave you and whatever you modify in between the body tags in this snippet of code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title>Cool Cars</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"></head><body><!-- your code here --></body></html>

This stuff tells the browser, or whatever else is looking at your site, what to expect. just basically pretexting.That should get you started.

thanks alot man

But after that u should get to learn css , there u learn alot of usefull things like positioning .. U could move your images and tables to where u want .

Since this is more of a programming forum then a design forum, I'm a little surprised that people aren't commenting on his code.There are several things wrong with the code on the main page. Here are the top few lines:

<html><title> Cool Cars</title><b><big><strong>COOL CARS</strong></big></b><br><body bgcolor=orange>Heres the best place for <b><strong><big>COOL CARS!</big</strong></b><br>

One problem is the lack of a head. A <title> element can only go inside of a <head> element. Also, the line you have right before the body is out of place, all text needs to go inside the <body> element. So, you should have this:

<html><head><title>Cool Cars</title></head><body>...

If you want to add a stylesheet, CSS, or scripts to load on startup, then they go inside the head as well.

<html><head><title>Cool Cars</title><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="path/to/stylesheet.css"><style type="text/css">body {  background-color: orange;}</style><script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript' src='http://ads.locators.com/adx.js'></script></head><body>...

Hopefully you can get the idea. Everything you have on your page between the <body></body> is fine, there are no problems there. But then there's this:</body></html></object></layer></div></span></style></noscript></table></script></applet>That closes the body, then closes the html, then closes a bunch of things that were never opened in the first place. Regardless of if they were opened, they need to be closed before the body, not after it. But, since you don't have any open object, layer, div etc elements, then just delete everything except the </body> and </html>. Then after that are some CSS and script links. These may have been placed there by your host, but they are invalid, they aren't in the correct place. The very last thing on the document should be a </html>, but your page goes on to do some things with CSS and Javascript. All of that should be moved into the head if you can, and the div element should go in the body. The basic format of an html document is like this:

<html>  <head>	<title></title>	...  </head>  <body>	...  </body></html>

It obvious, as dylan has stated, that there are going to be problems with the code even though it "looks" right. There are situations where code that looks as if it was intended to be right should be corrected and then there are situations where it it obvious the code was not written to do anything else but show something.For the former, go to town - rip the site about validation and code structure. For the latter, more sympathy and more help is more constructive. Having said that, I think this person has the information he/she needs to get going on the right track. Lets patiently wait for the next update to see if more assistance or more criticism is required.As for the:

</object></layer></div></span></style></noscript></table></script></applet>

that is often tacked on by "free" web hosting companies. Its a way of making sure the author of the page has closed all their tags so that when they automatically inject advertising script, it will be done as designed.

It obvious, as dylan has stated, that there are going to be problems with the code even though it "looks" right. There are situations where code that looks as if it was intended to be right should be corrected and then there are situations where it it obvious the code was not written to do anything else but show something.For the former, go to town - rip the site about validation and code structure. For the latter, more sympathy and more help is more constructive. Having said that, I think this person has the information he/she needs to get going on the right track. Lets patiently wait for the next update to see if more assistance or more criticism is required.As for the:
</object></layer></div></span></style></noscript></table></script></applet>

that is often tacked on by "free" web hosting companies. Its a way of making sure the author of the page has closed all their tags so that when they automatically inject advertising script, it will be done as designed.

is </object></layer></div></span></style></noscript></table></script></applet> nessacery

NoSo, if you put it in, definitely take it out.If you did not put it in, then it is likely being put there by your ISP to get that ad banner to appear.Use the code exmples provided in my previous post and first start with getting you code nice and clean. Every tag that opens should have one that closes (only a few expections to that rule). Likewise, any tag that closes, should have an opening tag associated with it.<strong> = opening bold tag</strong> = closing bold tagThe forward slash, "/", distinguishes your ending tag - basically says, "I'll done bolding, thanks!"Have them properly nested like so:<strong><em>Bold and Italic - correct<br></em></strong><strong><em>Bold and Italic - incorrect</strong></em><br>Get used to a good coding convention and you will establish good habits early on - making your learning much shorter.http://www.iribbit.net/i/_files/conventions.pdf

Also, I've noticed that your pages don't share the same colors. One page has green BG, and the other has an orange BG. There's nothing wrong with this, but to make your site look more professional I'd stick to one design. I see you're doing some work as well, good job.

Guest bob4x4

Looks GREAT! I used to have a red 76 Corvette. Very nice. I just started the tutorial tonight. Can't wait to do my web site myself. Have been relying on others, have spent money for big disappointments. I do an internet radio show about 4 Wheeling. The site is http://www.4wheelingtoday.com the site is being done by a friend for FREE, but every time I need something added or changed it takes days, which I understand he has his things to do. Now he's moving out of town. It's time for me to take the bull by horns. I have zero knowledge of html.A raw beginner. wish me luck.bob4x4