Is HTML and CSS enough

Herofeeder

Ok so i learned web design (i guess) and the thing is the way we learned it was half HTML and CSS

and the rest was Fireworks and Flash.

Now bcs of that i decided to take a few extra classes just to learn it properly .

we had 2 different classes one was for Web designers,and the other for Graphic designers.

I decided to take Web design,only to learn that we would be studying Fireworks and Flash

(correct me if im wrong. isnt that a part of the Graphic design area)

That got me thinking-im a Web designer i need to know HTML and CSS in order to make the page ,

now why is it that i needed to learn Fireworks and Flash in order to pass my exams .

so i have a couple of questions :

1)do i need the knowledge of Fireworks and Flash in order to be a web designer

2)do i only need the knowledge of HTML and CSS(and something else)

3)does anybody know what the employer will want from you as a Web designer

Thank you in advance

Hopefully those classes were a decade ago and people aren't still teaching Fireworks and Flash. No, you don't need to know those. Flash in particular is getting more and more useless because it is really only used on desktop machines and not mobile devices. Fireworks is just a program for a graphic designer to chop up a bunch of images, which is a very old way to design a web page. CSS 3 has a lot of features which mean that things like drop shadows, rounded corners, gradients, etc can be handled in CSS now instead of with images. HTML 5 has video and audio elements which have replaced the major use case for Flash. The majority of sites today use HTML, CSS, and Javascript instead of plugins like Flash or Java. Employers would want you to be able to work with frameworks and libraries like Bootstrap, AngularJS, jQuery, etc.

• Like 1

they have free adobe software for free so they have to teach us fireworks and flash sadly xD

i was just told i passed the exam and i will have a diploma soon

but in web design they didnt teach us JQ or Bootsrap or AngularJS

we were told that if you want to be a web desinger you need flash css HTML fireworks aaand thas it

and now you guys opened my eyes with this xD...i dont even know where to start from

Edited by Herofeeder

Web designers usually produce their design through Adobe Photoshop, and there is another Adobe program that is used also whose name escapes me, both of these can be expensive. These produce layers that break up the design allowing developers to reproduce a website template. The developer can instead of using layered photoshop images, if possible, reproduce the same effect using css3 instead which makes the website lighter in resources and bandwidth usage. Flash for players of movies and audio, as said has been replaced by html5 players, but is still used to produce some great effects whose developers have compressed considerably, saving bandwidth and still give a sharp responsive design for desktop layout widths only.

• 1 month later...

To answer you question, No.

All you need is a text editor and a graphics program.

All os come with text editors and G.I.M.P is a free alternative to PS.

Wow they still teach W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G editors and flash.
Man talk about old school!

To answer you question, No.

All you need is a text editor and a graphics program.

All os come with text editors and G.I.M.P is a free alternative to PS.

Wow they still teach W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G editors and flash.

Man talk about old school!

yeah youd think i learned that in 2001 ,sadly its a must learn in my country,

the classes were crowded and nobody could get a 1 on 1 kind of lesson

i have a diploma now ,but now a tutor is teaching me step by step ,this is the first time in my life where i have a diploma but i dont know anything xD

yeah youd think i learned that in 2001 ,sadly its a must learn in my country,

the classes were crowded and nobody could get a 1 on 1 kind of lesson

i have a diploma now ,but now a tutor is teaching me step by step ,this is the first time in my life where i have a diploma but i dont know anything xD

Well back in 96 we didn't have web design and in 2002 we were being taught frontpage!

It was an old program by Microsoft that made web pages for you in plain HTML. It used a visual editor, so you didn't need to write code. It created messy invalid HTML that only worked properly in Internet Explorer.

What was that? that produced a class (not css class, c# asp.net class) for everything! p element, produce class for that, div element, oh that will need a class, you sneeze, well that will need a class too, so i will put that in, ARRRGGGGHHH! You could tell it was derived from MS Frontpage developers.

Deleted as a black hole move the post from the wrong discussion!

Edited by James_Purcell

Whaaaa has that to do with this discussion?.... have you been painting with windows closed again! its really really bad for you, you know?

What how, what happened?

This was posted in the missile guidance discussion!

How on earth did it end up here?

wow talk about random.

• 3 weeks later...

Well back in 96 we didn't have web design and in 2002 we were being taught frontpage!

I still use front page its web expression now tried Adobe Dreamweaver which is a traffic programme but for the basic sites I build Adobe Dreamweaver is to much.

It was an old program by Microsoft that made web pages for you in plain HTML. It used a visual editor, so you didn't need to write code. It created messy invalid HTML that only worked properly in Internet Explorer.

I still use it for getting the basic css script that is written for me but you have to do a lot of work in the css. You have to keep your eyes on the script as it does place script on the HTML pages in the wrong place. It also puts a BOM byte order mark on each page you have to take off. It does create messy HTML.

• 2 months later...