Tell me what you think of my site

Khai

Hi. I've had this site up for a while now, and this is the first time I'm asking for critiques. It's a wordpress theme I made. Any suggestions would be appreciated. http://khaistatus.com/

It's a site to show all of my work. it's a portfolio site.

I don't quite understand. It's basically a resume for when I get started looking for a job in web design/ UI design.

I mean what's your pitch, your main benefit. How are you going to "hook em". I get that most of the world believes that if they build it, they will come.I used to believe that too (a long long time ago). Consequently, if I'm going to look at your site, as a prospective client or employer, I'm want you to grab me! As is, you're not telling me what I'm going to get other than someone with coding skills. If that's your objective, then you're right on. If you really want to stand out, you still have to name it to claim it. IMO. What do you want me to think after I've on your site for a few seconds? What's your big idea?

I see. Well, it's not really about the coding aspect, since I'm not THAT great at coding. It's more about my skills in UI design. I understand what you mean though. So I guess it's not enough to just have nice UI examples? I've never really thought deeply about how to stand out, but I'm doing the best I can. What I want a client to look at is how good my UI skills are after taking a look at the portfolio page, not coding.

Please give us some idea about what makes your perspective on User Interface unique.

Well I didn't really make this thread to explain how unique my design is. I did this to get some input on how well my site was designed, is all.

Edited by Khai

Purpose is the first step in design. Skip that step and you belittle your design. People with a lot of money, that might hire you, know that. People with a little money, that might hire you, don't know that. One of the first things a manager taught, me as a young man, was never minimize.

• Like 1

Hi. I've had this site up for a while now, and this is the first time I'm asking for critiques. It's a wordpress theme I made. Any suggestions would be appreciated. http://khaistatus.com/
its very inspiring, do you mind if i attempted to create your theme? Edited by DDs1

Niche: I see. Well I'll take that more seriously when starting new projects. Thanks for the advice. DDs1: Uhm.. If you want. But why?

DDs1: Uhm.. If you want. But why?
it seem like a challenge and im the type of person who enjoy the challenges life throws at me :) but i prefer to ask permission before i actually go and take on that challenge

btw when i click on the facebook, twitter and so on button you have, it doesnt take me to those pages, is that suppose to happen?

Why not just make your own theme?
normally do that, but why ignore a challenge?

Ok, well good luck! And also, those social buttons are working yet.

• 2 months later...

The concepts you made show some appealing art work, but your own pages seem very bland. Is that inspired by the Windows 'metro style' (or whatever it is called now)? I do like the idea of plain graphics as we get overload these days, none the less I personally do like to see some warmer colors on the screen (specially as it is spring time here).

It wasn't clear if you can do that kind of art, or just lay out the pages, so I think I understand what niche means: It doesn't shout "pick me" to potential clients.

p.s. I liked your "back to the top" button, but it seemed quite far off to the side and when I didn't use full screen it was not even in the window. You need to have a go zooming in and out and see how its position is affected.

• 1 month later...

I would have to concur with Ms. Perduta... your color choices subdue the information as opposed to demonstrate what you can deliver, and not minimize the impact you can provide your clients (reference: Niche). Some of your other work is quite nice, but there is a trend of unsuccessful/incomplete/unfinished work in your portfolio. I would recommend completing the portfolio pieces into functional themes and put them up for sale or download. You comments should present the positive of the themes you've made... see the second sentence again.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...