My personal website redesigned

rain13

On your registration page, the text in red is poorly visible on smaller mobile screens. The page is also titled 'user control panel'. Maybe something like 'Rain - registration' or 'join rain' would be good. The 'login' and 'registration' links are duplicated on the registration page when opened -- you already have those links at the top. Would you like to make it a blog or forum? You did a good job. Add categories for photography and programming, as your site entails, and make comprehensive navigation. Wouldn't it be fun to search and add some info about those organisms? Like fun facts about them. Each download tells your visitor a new thing about an image. Good work there.

The 'login' and 'registration' links are duplicated on the registration page when opened -- you already have those links at the top.

It is because I use the same code as for UCP, MCP and ACP. Login and Register are just UCP modules, meaning that they're tbeing treated like every other UCP module which is why I have those links on tabs. I use the same header file for whole site which is why they are also at the top.

Add categories for photography and programming, as your site entails, and make comprehensive navigation.

They are already in categories:

Navigation:Currently viewing: ProgrammingOther categories:PrivatePhotos

Do you have any suggestions on how I should or could redesign it (Navigation quoted above)? I know that the navigation may not be visually/intuitively the best but that's the best idea what I came up with, therefore I am longing to hear other's thoughts on how navigation should be designed.

Would you like to make it a blog or forum?

Currently I see no reason to have forum unless I get enough large audience. However once I upload it's sourcecode to sourcefore or github I might add support forum to it.

Wouldn't it be fun to search and add some info about those organisms?

I have not thought of it but I've thought about adding photo tips to those photos such as what what aperture, exposure, ISO to use. For example under clouds I could write something like "Slightly underexposure the clouds to bring out more detail" or under thunder photo I could write "Use f/5.6 to make thunder look slightly bigger" or under landscape "Use f/8 to get everything sharp" and so on. I have came up with this design but now the question is: If user visits "Articles" then how should I make it clear that the Photography is it's parent category?Untitled.pngIf user clicks on "Articles" it should appear on upper bar and the child categories of "Articles" should appear on lower bar. What would be the good way to display path to indicate that "Articles" is child of "Photography"?

Edited by SoItBegins

It is because I use the same code as for UCP, MCP and ACP. Login and Register are just UCP modules, meaning that they're tbeing treated like every other UCP module which is why I have those links on tabs. I use the same header file for whole site which is why they are also at the top. They are already in categories:Do you have any suggestions on how I should or could redesign it (Navigation quoted above)? I know that the navigation may not be visually/intuitively the best but that's the best idea what I came up with, therefore I am longing to hear other's thoughts on how navigation should be designed. I have came up with this design but now the question is: If user visits "Articles" then how should I make it clear that the Photography is it's parent category?Untitled.pngIf user clicks on "Articles" it should appear on upper bar and the child categories of "Articles" should appear on lower bar. What would be the good way to display path to indicate that "Articles" is child of "Photography"?

Concerning the CPs, you can modify your code to display the form under the login link when clicked. You can just display 'registeration' as a header text over the reg form and remove the duplicate links from the page. The categories are not displayed on mobile views. Check it.

For the navigation, try listing the parent category as bolded text and the child categories as normal, indented text below it. You may use an image (logo) to contain 'rain's site, programmer and hobby photographer' and make space for the navigation links, login and search field below it. (for the mobile site). Check this site for and example of everything I mean http://www.doomby.com/

Edited by Jonathanks

The categories are not displayed on mobile views.

You mean the navigation bar on left? it should display show button (>>). Shall it be something else?

For the navigation, try listing the parent category as bolded text and the child categories as normal, indented text below it.

Like that? It doesn't look quite good.Capture.png

The thing is that I need to show path somewhere

Capture1.png

But then I would display articles twice:Capture2.png

Okay. The button (>>) should have a label (Navigation>>) for easy identification. You may add a background color and change the display to block or make it a select menu.For the navigation in the header, make it less descriptive. You should have only the main categories of your site there, i.e programming and photography. For the side navigation, you should have a vertical list. The main categories should be bolded and aligned left while their child categories should be listed under them and should be indented some pixels right. E.g just a rough code. <nav class='side'><ul><li><b>programming</b></li><ul style='text-indent:5px'><li>-articles</li><li>-java</li><li>-ruby</li></ul></ul></nav>. You get my idea. Repeat same for photography list on the side navigation too.

For the navigation in the header, make it less descriptive. You should have only the main categories of your site there, i.e programming and photography.

But where should I show Articles in that case? If I keep it in sidebar then 2 things would be separated.If I go by side navigation, how should I then show the path? Wouldn't it be the same that I already have?Edit: What do you think of this design?Capture4.png

Edited by SoItBegins

The path would not change.What do you mean?If I have Cat1 > Cat1.1 > Cat1.1.1 > Cat1.1.1.1Then I would display it like that?Cat1+Cat1.1++Cat1.1.1+++Cat1.1.1 ?

Sorry I seem to misunderstand you here. What I mean is the hierarchy. Articles will still be displayed as a child category of photography both in the title and the links. Explain a little more. And since I'm posting from mobile, I'll be limited a bit to the mobile page.

I saw you've made changes. Good. For the category list on the mobile site, disable one link to avoid having two links highlighted simultaneously. I'll check more later. My battery's low. I like your site. Do you manage the back end your self? Help me create an account on your site then send me the login details as private message. I want to see more features.

disable one link to avoid having two links highlighted simultaneously.

What do you mean? The category you are currently in is already black.

Do you manage the back end your self?

Yes, I wrote that site from scratch.

Help me create an account on your site then send me the login details as private message.

What stops you from creating it?Details PM-ed

it way too plain, i think you can add some feeling to it. bring it alive alittle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it way too plain, i think you can add some feeling to it. bring it alive alittle

Can you explain a little what you mean by that?

But you can improve it via adding flat look and elegant style.

flat means not shadows and borders?Also what's elegant style?On the site you linked I saw only 2 screenshots.

Can you explain a little what you mean by that?

flat means not shadows and borders?Also what's elegant style?On the site you linked I saw only 2 screenshots.

like put some color in it, maybe some box shadow, border, something that will make it pop a little, to me its just plain, and i saw some plain website that are amazing