add data from one column to another

tengwer

I am a beginner with a simple task. I have a table with two columns as follows:Column1: string1, string2, string3Column2: stringA, stringB, stringCI would like this to become:Column1: string1, string2, string3Column2: string1 stringA, string2 stringB, string3 stringCI have tried UPDATE table SET column2 = column1 + column2 but this does not work and only fills column 2 with zeros. Any ideas?

Try...

UPDATE mytablenameSET column2 = CONCAT(column1,' ',column2)WHERE column1 = 'string1';

...if that works (on the string1 row) then try it without the WHERE clause. If that doesn't work a self-join or sub-query might be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Try...

UPDATE mytablenameSET column2 = CONCAT(column1,' ',column2)WHERE column1 = 'string1';

...if that works (on the string1 row) then try it without the WHERE clause. If that doesn't work a self-join or sub-query might be needed.

It took me a while to get back to this. Unfortunately I get the error "no such function CONCAT"

Might be helpful if we knew what database you were using.

Sorry. I and trying to alter a MySword data file that is in sql format. MySword is a bible program. The file is a strongs dictionary in sql format that has in column 1 the strongs number and in column 2 the definition. I am trying to get the strongs number to appear along with the definition. I tried using SQLite Personal Edition to run the query. It opens the database fine and I can see everything there but the queries give the errors mentioned above.

Edited by tengwer