4 replies to this topic

#1 Masroor Hussain

Masroor Hussain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:35 AM

Hi Friends........
Now a days im learning ORACLE, so our teacher give us an assignment that WHY ORACLE IS CALLED ORACLE???????

So plz help me.......! I will get one and half gracing marks !

Masroor Hussain
BS(CS)-III
+92-333-3682677

#2 boen_robot

boen_robot

XSLT senior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts
  • Interests:Everything having to do with computers... and science.
  • Languages:(X)HTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, Schema, PHP, JavaScript (a little), other XML based...

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

Well, according to the Wikipedia article about the Oracle Database:

The name Oracle comes from the code-name of a CIA-funded project Ellison had worked on while previously employed by Ampex.

Next time, google it before you ask.
The greatest difficulty in programming is not in finding answers, but in asking yourself the right questions. -- If nobody has said it before, then I'd like to take credit of thinking this up (during summer of 2010).
"Complex problems often have the simplest solutions" -- Not sure who said that first.
=== My projects (all feedback welcomed) ===
XML_XSLT2Processor(0.5.3) - perform XSLT 2.0 transformations in PHP.
PEAR2_Net_Transmitter(1.0.0a4) - reliable sockets.
PEAR2_Cache_SHM(0.1.2) - persistent data storage wrapper.
=== Useful tools ===
NetBeans - full featured PHP IDE, as well as a decent code editor for other things.
Fiddler2 - The best free HTTP debugger. Performance tuning, security check, integrity check, custom requests and more, all made easy.
Gobby - That's NOT my Nickname! Look at the topic.

#3 Synook

Synook

53 79 6E 6F 6F 6B 0D 0A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts
  • Interests:Web development, Computer Science, and the pursuit of knowledge in general.
  • Languages:(X)(HT)ML, CSS, PHP, SQL, JavaScript, Java, Python

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

Edit: I spent so long waiting for the Oracle website's timeline to load that boen_robot got to post first :)

---

:) is that question relevant?
Well, Oracle is called so because it is produced by Oracle Corporation. Why is the Oracle Corporation called as such? According to Wikipedia:

Larry Ellison and his friends and former co-workers Bob Miner and Ed Oates started the consultancy Software Development Laboratories (SDL) in 1977. SDL developed the original version of the Oracle software. The name Oracle comes from the code-name of a CIA-funded project Ellison had worked on while previously employed by Ampex.

While I wouldn't trust Wikipedia that much for well-founded reasons, I can't seem to find any additional information on the web (you could try http://www.oracle.co...line/index.html but it didn't load for me).

#4 mma_fighter123

mma_fighter123

Invested Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

From the link Synook posted:

"Silicon Valley-based software engineers Larry Ellison, Bob Miner, and Ed Oates found a consulting company, Software Development Laboratories (SDL), and pick up a contract with the CIA to build a special database program code-named "Oracle"."

#5 justsomeguy

justsomeguy

More Human Than Human

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,930 posts
  • Languages:Focusing on PHP and JavaScript

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:43 AM

In addition to whatever CIA programs were out there, the ancient Greeks had an Oracle that they consulted when they had questions, the Oracle was said to have the answers. A database is essentially a repository for knowledge.
Know your history: Babbage | Lovelace | Turing | Hopper | Ritchie
ConTEXT Sublime Text Opera PHP MySQL phpMyAdmin
Use a debugger: Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari, or Opera
Know the foundations of computer science: algorithms, machine architectures, data structures, etc. Don't just blindly copy techniques from application to application. Know what you are doing, that it works, and why it works. Don't think you know what the industry will be in five years time or what you'll be doing then, so gather a portfolio of general and useful skills. Try to write better, more principled code. Work to make "programming" more of a professional activity and less of a low-level "hacking" activity (programming is also a craft, but not just a craft). Learn from the classics in the field and the better advanced textbooks; don't be satisfied with the easily digested "how to" guides and online documentation - it's shallow.
-- Bjarne Stroustrup

He that teaches himself has a fool for a master.
-- Benjamin Franklin (paraphrased)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users