asp.net C#

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bheft_*

Guest_bheft_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

I suggest that tutorials be made for creating dynamic web pages with asp.net using c#. It's very popular and it would be nice to know some basics, and to have a good reference area to go to. Just a suggestion.

#2 Kahor

Kahor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:28 PM

asp.net is microsoft through, am I not right ?

I think this site only list W3C "recognized" (whatever it means) languages.

For this kind of stuff you usually go to microsoft asp.net support site.

#3 Kingy

Kingy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

W3schools only deals with web development tutorials that also teach you to follow W3C standards.
W3C is World Wide Web Consortium (WWWC) which is THE international web standard to work to.

#4 aspnetguy

aspnetguy

Web Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Languages:PHP, ASP.NET, C#, JavaScript, HTML, CSS

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:39 PM

asp.net is microsoft through, am I not right ?

I think this site only list W3C "recognized" (whatever it means) languages.

For this kind of stuff you usually go to microsoft asp.net support site.

You should take a look at the tutorials again. There are tutorials for ASP, VBScript, and ASP.Net (using VB) which are all Microsoft technologies.

Server side programming languages have nothing to do with W3C. The W3c develops standardized client technologies like XHTML and CSS. Programming languages just output what you tell them to.

While I agree that C# is much nicer than VB I doubt we will be seeing any C# tutorials. The tutorials that get written are based on the site owners knowledge and I believe they are VB programmers.
justin » My Blog | church attendance software | order of wedding speeches

please...
» ...do a search before asking a question, it has probably already been answered
» ...read the tutorials, chances are they also have the answer to your question
» ...be specific when describing your problem and if possible provide your code and/or a link

#5 Lonig

Lonig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Languages:C#, ASP.NET(2.0), PHP, (X)HTML, CSS, MySQL, SQL

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

I am no C# expert, but I am pretty sure most VB/C# experts can easliy convert one to the other. I've had a heck of a time finding C# tutorials meant to jumpstart the .net web development side, so I would love for someone to work on converting the VB codes on w3schools.

At least the starter ones...

Perhaps if I ever get far enough I'll start working on the converting as a learning experience... but until then, I'll simply put my plea out there for someone else.

C# is definitly the way to go in my opinion. VB is far from dead, but if you are starting out C# just seems logical as it is OO and very similar to other languages.

#6 justsomeguy

justsomeguy

More Human Than Human

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,731 posts
  • Languages:Focusing on PHP and JavaScript

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

PHP, SQL, ADO, and Flash are also not covered by the W3C. In fact, no server-side language at all is covered by the W3C, that's not what they're there for.
Know your history: Babbage | Lovelace | Turing | Hopper | Ritchie
ConTEXT Sublime Text Opera PHP MySQL phpMyAdmin
Use a debugger: Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari, or Opera
Know the foundations of computer science: algorithms, machine architectures, data structures, etc. Don't just blindly copy techniques from application to application. Know what you are doing, that it works, and why it works. Don't think you know what the industry will be in five years time or what you'll be doing then, so gather a portfolio of general and useful skills. Try to write better, more principled code. Work to make "programming" more of a professional activity and less of a low-level "hacking" activity (programming is also a craft, but not just a craft). Learn from the classics in the field and the better advanced textbooks; don't be satisfied with the easily digested "how to" guides and online documentation - it's shallow.
-- Bjarne Stroustrup

He that teaches himself has a fool for a master.
-- Benjamin Franklin (paraphrased)

#7 aspnetguy

aspnetguy

Web Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Languages:PHP, ASP.NET, C#, JavaScript, HTML, CSS

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

I am no C# expert, but I am pretty sure most VB/C# experts can easliy convert one to the other. I've had a heck of a time finding C# tutorials meant to jumpstart the .net web development side, so I would love for someone to work on converting the VB codes on w3schools.

At least the starter ones...

Perhaps if I ever get far enough I'll start working on the converting as a learning experience... but until then, I'll simply put my plea out there for someone else.

C# is definitly the way to go in my opinion. VB is far from dead, but if you are starting out C# just seems logical as it is OO and very similar to other languages.

Yes VB is not that hard to convert to C# but I just don't think the owners are going to do it. Updates are few and far between as it is.

If you have any specific questions regarding the tutorials post it here and we can convert it for you or use an online converter like here to convert from VB to C#
justin » My Blog | church attendance software | order of wedding speeches

please...
» ...do a search before asking a question, it has probably already been answered
» ...read the tutorials, chances are they also have the answer to your question
» ...be specific when describing your problem and if possible provide your code and/or a link

#8 Kingy

Kingy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

PHP, SQL, ADO, and Flash are also not covered by the W3C. In fact, no server-side language at all is covered by the W3C, that's not what they're there for.

Good point, touché I say!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users