Hover to view hidden box

smerny

How can I make it so I have text that says "Hoover to View Comment" and when someone puts mouse on that text, it displays a simple box with the comment inside of it?I started to attempt this with this:"<a href='#' class='popup'>Hoover to View Comment</a>"and say the comment is in a php variable named $pr['comment']... i started thinking about the CSS behind this but i don't know how i would make the comment show up.thanks for any help

Hm. PHP is processed before HTML (confusingly, it is supposed to stand for Hypertext Pre-Processor - surely that would be HPP?). So a variable stored in PHP has to be dropped into HTML or JavaScript first. For example, say you have a div that holds the PHP variable, you would do something like:

<div id="comment"><?php echo $pr['comment']; ?></div>

In the CSS, you would put:

#comment {display: none;}

to hide it.You would need to put this in the CSS to make the div appear when you hovered over the link:

a.popup :hover #comment {display: block;}

I would suggest giving the link an id instead of a class, as surely you only want one trigger to make the div appear. If you wanted an actual popup, you would need to use JavaScript, something like:

<script type="text/javascript">var comment = '<?php echo $pr['comment']; ?>';document.getElementById('popup').onmouseover = alert(comment);</script>

actually, this will be in a loop while pulling records from the database and making a table with them.for example, if i were to just show the comment, it would look like

while($pr = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){	 echo "	 <tr>	   .....	   <td>". $pr['comment'] ."</td>	   .....	 </tr>";}

but sometimes the comments can be big (paragraphs) and i would rather not stretch my table for that, which is why i would rather have a mouse over that displays the comment within a box... much like the way CSS drop down menus display a list of links

could use the same principle as used in sucker fish menu

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /><title>Untitled Document</title><script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*//*---->*//*--*//*]]>*/</script><style type="text/css">#like_menu ul {	list-style: none;}#like_menu ul li {	position: relative;	}	/*first sublevel */#like_menu li ul { 	width:200px;	position: absolute;	left: -999em;	}	#like_menu li:hover ul {	left: 200px;	top:200px;	border: 1px solid #000;}</style></head><body><div id="like_menu"><ul><li><a href="java script:void(null)"><span class="topmenu_text_align">Hover to View Comment</span></a>	<ul>	<li>Hover comment, Hover comment, Hover comment, Hover comment</li>	</ul></li></ul></div></body></html>

No tables, (good), No javascript, (better), all you have to do populate the second <li>.... </li> using $pr['comment']

well, i'm using tables because the information i am outputting is very tabular type information. i'll try putting the div/ul within a td though and see what happens

Archived