Tutorials and References for Web Servers
Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:22 PM
Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:35 PM
- XAMPP - A cross platform web server package. Contains Apache and a lot of stuff in addition to the things you're sure to need. Don't forget to read the "Question" parts on the download page, and "Question 2" in particular.
- WAMPServer - A minimum package, containing fewer things beyond the Apache web server, specifically tailored for Windows. Don't forget to also read the "Presentation" page, and the "How to start" section in particular.
- Microsoft Web Platform Installer - A small Windows program that downloads and installs many components that you can select during the installation. Installs Microsoft's IIS web server, among other things you may need.
- MAMP - A MAC OS X tailored package. Contains Apache, all popular MAC OS X compatible PHP extensions and a few other things you may need. Don't forget to check it's documentation page.
Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:41 PM
- Official site: http://httpd.apache.org/
- Official documentation (for the current version): http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/
- Official download page: http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi (look for a "Win32 Binary" if you're using Windows; If you don't plan to serve HTTPS pages, it doesn't matter which of the two binaries you get.)
- Configuration Files - One important addition is that by default, on Windows, "httpd.conf" can be found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\conf" (on XP and 32 bit versions of Vista and 7, without the "(x86)" part). Be sure to open this file to get your "aha" moment.
- Mapping URLs to Filesystem Locations
- Authentication, Authorization and Access Control
- Apache mod_rewrite - before trying to do rewrites on your own, you should probably first try to learn "regular expressions" (if you haven't already; Google it) and run some of those examples, just to get a feeling of the overall process.
- .htaccess files
Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:02 PM
- IIS 1.0, Windows NT 3.51 available as a free add-on
- IIS 2.0, Windows NT 4.0
- IIS 3.0, Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3
- IIS 4.0, Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack
- IIS 5.0, Windows 2000
- IIS 5.1, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition
- IIS 6.0, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
- IIS 7.0, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista (Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate Editions)
- IIS 7.5, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
- Official site: http://www.iis.net/
- Official documentation: http://learn.iis.net/
- Official download page: Not applicable. See above.
- IIS 7.* installation and configuration instructions
- URL Rewrite Module download page
- URL Rewrite Module documentation
- Video tutorials for various aspects of IIS 7.*
- Documentation and tips for running ASP.NET, PHP and other stuff on IIS 7.*
- Translate .htaccess Content to IIS web.config - even if you don't understand .htaccess contents yet, this is a useful overview of IIS' equivalent "web.config" files.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users