What?/How?

eduard

Altough I assume this isn´t the right place I´ve been asked to design a program for a car mechanic what he has in stock, prices etc. He doesn´t want an already made program (I don´t know why?) what do you suggest? (I have an Apple computer and he has a pc html?)P. s. in spanish!

what is a 'pc html'? As far your task, you didn't really elaborate on the details at all. Is he looking to try and sell stuff? Is he just looking for an in-house inventory management system? Either way, you will need some sort of mechanism for tracking products and information, most likely a database. Then some sort of interface will be need to be made for him to update and manage his inventory. It really depends on the the requirements and expectations he has for this, but you will most likely need a strong grasp of javascript, databases, and server-side scripting in order to fulfill it.As far as the spanish language thing, you just need to write the content in spanish.

what is a 'pc html'? As far your task, you didn't really elaborate on the details at all. Is he looking to try and sell stuff? Is he just looking for an in-house inventory management system? Either way, you will need some sort of mechanism for tracking products and information, most likely a database. Then some sort of interface will be need to be made for him to update and manage his inventory. It really depends on the the requirements and expectations he has for this, but you will most likely need a strong grasp of javascript, databases, and server-side scripting in order to fulfill it.As far as the spanish language thing, you just need to write the content in spanish.
Thanks! No, he has a garage in which they repair cars. I think also it has to be a database.The programs you mention take a long time to learn, because until now I know HTML, CSS and a little bit of Flash.

I'm sure he wants an in-house solution for two main reaons:1. Current programs specialized for cars are very expensive. Whatever you make, however much you take for the job, it's likely to be cheaper... it actually MUST be if this is your first programming job.2. Most such programs are available only in English.I'd highly reccomend you DO NOT accept this task until you actually learn some server side programming language and some SQL... which one depends on the kind of computer that will serve as a server (the fact he has a PC doesn't mean anything; the server computer can be a third one to which both of you connect). PHP and MySQL are the two universal ones, but if the server (not the client!!!!!!) is a Windows computer, ASP.NET (with C# ideally) and MSSQL is just as acceptable.

I'm sure he wants an in-house solution for two main reaons:1. Current programs specialized for cars are very expensive. Whatever you make, however much you take for the job, it's likely to be cheaper... it actually MUST be if this is your first programming job.2. Most such programs are available only in English.I'd highly reccomend you DO NOT accept this task until you actually learn some server side programming language and some SQL... which one depends on the kind of computer that will serve as a server (the fact he has a PC doesn't mean anything; the server computer can be a third one to which both of you connect). PHP and MySQL are the two universal ones, but if the server (not the client!!!!!!) is a Windows computer, ASP.NET (with C# ideally) and MSSQL is just as acceptable.
Thank you very much for your reply, although I don´t understand it all:1 What kind of programming language do I have to learn?2 I don´t have money and money here in south-america is big problem (even when the solution is better!)3 Therefore, is it not possible to make a simple programm for a pc or must I convince him to buy? a server computer?For me it´s very important (because it´s my living!) to know how much time this aproximately take, so I can calculate my fee?I have an Apple computer and he has a pc!

Thank you very much for your reply, although I don´t understand it all:1 What kind of programming language do I have to learn?2 I don´t have money and money here in south-america is big problem (even when the solution is better!)3 Therefore, is it not possible to make a simple programm for a pc or must I convince him to buy? a server computer?For me it´s very important (because it´s my living!) to know how much time this aproximately take, so I can calculate my fee?I have an Apple computer and he has a pc!
You will need to learn a server-side language and SQL. This most likely means PHP and MySQL. You can probably find a free host that offers both of these. Nobody has to buy anything. As boen_robot pointed out, it probably is not a good idea for you take on this task until you have a decent knowledge of PHP and MySQL. So the amount of time it takes will depend on how quickly you can learn those two... :)Also, we've said this many times before:It does not matter what kind of computer you or your client has so there is no need to keep repeating it.

You will need to learn a server-side language and SQL. This most likely means PHP and MySQL. You can probably find a free host that offers both of these. Nobody has to buy anything. As boen_robot pointed out, it probably is not a good idea for you take on this task until you have a decent knowledge of PHP and MySQL. So the amount of time it takes will depend on how quickly you can learn those two... :)Also, we've said this many times before:It does not matter what kind of computer you or your client has so there is no need to keep repeating it.
But, could you plese answer my question (read my question good please?) Does he need a server computer? If not, it´s very important to write a programm off-line!

But, could you plese answer my question (read my question good please?) Does he need a server computer? If not, it´s very important to write a programm off-line!
The question is does he have (and can he afford to maintain) an internet connection.To use a web app, your client needs an internet connection. That's ALL he needs to have. As mentioned, the server itself can be one from a free host.If he can afford to have an internet connection, PHP and MySQL are the things you'll be best off learning, though there are alternatives to both.If he can't afford to have an internet connection, you have 2 options:1. Install Apache, PHP and MySQL on his computer, and develop the app with them in mind.2. Learn a "desktop application" programming language, such as C# (without ASP.NET), JAVA or C++, again plus a database of some sort, and create an application with them. That's a harder path to go on, and you'll make it hard for us to assist you on it. It's still doable and not THAT much harder though.

The question is does he have (and can he afford to maintain) an internet connection.To use a web app, your client needs an internet connection. That's ALL he needs to have. As mentioned, the server itself can be one from a free host.If he can afford to have an internet connection, PHP and MySQL are the things you'll be best off learning, though there are alternatives to both.If he can't afford to have an internet connection, you have 2 options:1. Install Apache, PHP and MySQL on his computer, and develop the app with them in mind.2. Learn a "desktop application" programming language, such as C# (without ASP.NET), JAVA or C++, again plus a database of some sort, and create an application with them. That's a harder path to go on, and you'll make it hard for us to assist you on it. It's still doable and not THAT much harder though.
I get a lot of comments by different persons to my questions! Just a few are helpful!Like your reply is simple and clear! THAT´S WHAT I NEED!Thank you very much!

He has an internet connection! So, I have to learn PHP and MySQL? (Why 2 languages?)

He has an internet connection! So, I have to learn PHP and MySQL? (Why 2 languages?)
Just read the tutorials. Their difference (and why you need them both) should be pretty apparent once you do so.

Just read the tutorials. Their difference (and why you need them both) should be pretty apparent once you do so.
Ok

Please can someone tell me as soon as possible how much a new database program for cars aproximately cost? I need to calculate my fee today!

Another question: Is it necessary to learn JavaScript before learning PHP?
Not technically. JavaScript and PHP are both useful for different things. When you get more experienced, you can actually learn techniques for using them side-by-side (such as AJAX), but that's something you'll want to put off until you learn stuff better.For this specific project, you'll need HTML (and maybe CSS) for displaying data and the forms to add and maintain the data, a server-side scripting language (PHP being my favorite) as a means of obtaining and processing data to and from the database, and a database/querying language (MySQL being my favorite) to store data. They each accomplish different things, but they work together to get the job done. As mentioned before, read through the tutorials to get a grasp of each technology and it's place in your project.Going back to JavaScript, it can be used to make your project more dynamic from the client-side.Not trying to offend you, but judging from what I've read, you may need to learn the basics of how web applications work before you try to build one. The idea is that you have a server that will hold on to your application and allow people to connect to it. From there, anyone with a browser (regardless of what computer they have) can type in the URL to your application and get to it. You may want to wrap the application in some form of authentication system to ensure only certain people with knowledge of a certain password can access it.I hope I'm not confusing you more.

Please can someone tell me as soon as possible how much a new database program for cars aproximately cost? I need to calculate my fee today!
If I were you, I'll take this first one for free, because you can't really promise anything with your lack of experience.As soon as your second project arrives, you can think about taking money for your work.AFAIK, desktop (not web) applications that serve as encyclopedia/manual/support/storage programs for cars are worth somewhere around $2000... but that's based on a little outdated (think 2009) data by clients of mine... nothing I've ever personally researched.Note that these programs don't include just the ability to track available parts, but also the ability to filter parts by the car models they're for, the ability to look up instructions on how to put each part in and out... information your app is likely to lack."Generic" storage programs that don't have the features above are generally cheaper. Where I live, they're worth somewhere along the lines of $300-$500. They can track the quantities of items that you have available, and track the money you get for each sale.

Not technically. JavaScript and PHP are both useful for different things. When you get more experienced, you can actually learn techniques for using them side-by-side (such as AJAX), but that's something you'll want to put off until you learn stuff better.For this specific project, you'll need HTML (and maybe CSS) for displaying data and the forms to add and maintain the data, a server-side scripting language (PHP being my favorite) as a means of obtaining and processing data to and from the database, and a database/querying language (MySQL being my favorite) to store data. They each accomplish different things, but they work together to get the job done. As mentioned before, read through the tutorials to get a grasp of each technology and it's place in your project.Going back to JavaScript, it can be used to make your project more dynamic from the client-side.Not trying to offend you, but judging from what I've read, you may need to learn the basics of how web applications work before you try to build one. The idea is that you have a server that will hold on to your application and allow people to connect to it. From there, anyone with a browser (regardless of what computer they have) can type in the URL to your application and get to it. You may want to wrap the application in some form of authentication system to ensure only certain people with knowledge of a certain password can access it.I hope I'm not confusing you more.
No, thank you very much!However, I have another question (I haven´t any experience in programming yet!) Do I have to store the database on a external server (he hasn´t have one!) and does he have to pay for it? (is it like a website?)

No. The database server may be on the same computer as the web server.Many free hosts include not only PHP, but MySQL, so no. He won't have to pay for that either.Stop asking "administration" questions, and start learning PHP and MySQL already!!!

If I were you, I'll take this first one for free, because you can't really promise anything with your lack of experience.As soon as your second project arrives, you can think about taking money for your work.AFAIK, desktop (not web) applications that serve as encyclopedia/manual/support/storage programs for cars are worth somewhere around $2000... but that's based on a little outdated (think 2009) data by clients of mine... nothing I've ever personally researched.Note that these programs don't include just the ability to track available parts, but also the ability to filter parts by the car models they're for, the ability to look up instructions on how to put each part in and out... information your app is likely to lack."Generic" storage programs that don't have the features above are generally cheaper. Where I live, they're worth somewhere along the lines of $300-$500. They can track the quantities of items that you have available, and track the money you get for each sale.
I am sorry, but I can´t I need the money for living! I´ve just made the quotation! But do I have to base my fee on $ 2.000 (and here in south-america everything needs to be much mmore cheaper!)?

I am sorry, but I can´t I need the money for living! I´ve just made the quotation! But do I have to base my fee on $ 2.000 (and here in south-america everything needs to be much mmore cheaper!)?
more than just money, you have to quote the client a time frame for completion. Most likely though, the client isn't going to want to pay you to learn something from scratch. So you have to give a reduced quote to compensate for your lack of experience and the fact that it will probably take you a long time to complete. Most people charge based on their experience and past projects. They usually charge per hour, and based on what they've done in the past, they estimate how long it will take them to complete and their experience dictates how much they will charge per hour. In all honesty, since you are still grasping with website design basics (HTML/CSS. do you even know in Javascript yet?), and haven't even read a tutorial for PHP/MySQL and are very foggy on the basics of web applications in general, I stand by boen's suggestion that you do this one for free. Nothing ruins a professional career faster than bad references. Take it as learning experience so you can charge for the next one.edit: your desire for monetary compensation and financial gain should not overshadow the fact that you need to LEARN what you're doing before you can charge someone for it.

more than just money, you have to quote the client a time frame for completion. Most likely though, the client isn't going to want to pay you to learn something from scratch. So you have to give a reduced quote to compensate for your lack of experience and the fact that it will probably take you a long time to complete. Most people charge based on their experience and past projects. They usually charge per hour, and based on what they've done in the past, they estimate how long it will take them to complete and their experience dictates how much they will charge per hour. In all honesty, since you are still grasping with website design basics (HTML/CSS. do you even know in Javascript yet?), and haven't even read a tutorial for PHP/MySQL and are very foggy on the basics of web applications in general, I stand by boen's suggestion that you do this one for free. Nothing ruins a professional career faster than bad references. Take it as learning experience so you can charge for the next one.edit: your desire for monetary compensation and financial gain should not overshadow the fact that you need to LEARN what you're doing before you can charge someone for it.
As I already wrote: I have to earn money, but the message is clear! It has to be perfect! (so I´ll do that!)

Not necesarily "perfect", but... let's just say it must not ######.Your client will be able to detect "######"-ness a mile away, but he'll probably be unable to point the reason for it, and won't even bother telling you. An awkward look is all you need to see to know your app sucks.

No. The database server may be on the same computer as the web server.Many free hosts include not only PHP, but MySQL, so no. He won't have to pay for that either.Stop asking "administration" questions, and start learning PHP and MySQL already!!!
Ok, I´ll

Archived