What can I offer (for free) .....?

eduard

I´ve read and thought about your suggestions of making (for free!) a portfolio. Therefore, I want to offer my services to a local computer shop!But what can I offer him (using PHP, MySQL) a data-base for the products he has?

Only he can tell you what he wants/needs. Everyone is different, so whatever we say, it is likely to be different from his point of view.Thanks to the fact you are doing it for free, you can bravely come in and say "Hi, do you have a web site? Would you like me to make one for you, for free?". Their first reaction, assuming they don't have a site, is going to be "What's the catch?". Nothing wrong with being honest here, so do tell "The catch is I'm still learning, which is exactly the reason I'm doing it for free. I'm still building up a portfolio, and if you let me, your site will be part of it. I only need your permission and a way to contact you later for details".If, after that, they approve, you could outline explicitly what they'd like to get. Hopefully, they'll be able to also prioritize. As someone who's part of a small local computer shop, I can tell you that for me (not necesarily true for him), a product catalog is actually the last thing I want, because it means I need to keep it updated. The most important pieces are a price list of the services, contacts (emails, phones) including the address, along with a map, in this order. Add some kind of an "admin panel" (a place from which they can edit all of that) and you'll be done. Everything after that is just a fancy "nice to have" extra that they're probably not going to be expecting from you, though they'll probably tell it to you, just to see if you can pull it off.

Only he can tell you what he wants/needs. Everyone is different, so whatever we say, it is likely to be different from his point of view.Thanks to the fact you are doing it for free, you can bravely come in and say "Hi, do you have a web site? Would you like me to make one for you, for free?". Their first reaction, assuming they don't have a site, is going to be "What's the catch?". Nothing wrong with being honest here, so do tell "The catch is I'm still learning, which is exactly the reason I'm doing it for free. I'm still building up a portfolio, and if you let me, your site will be part of it. I only need your permission and a way to contact you later for details".If, after that, they approve, you could outline explicitly what they'd like to get. Hopefully, they'll be able to also prioritize. As someone who's part of a small local computer shop, I can tell you that for me (not necesarily true for him), a product catalog is actually the last thing I want, because it means I need to keep it updated. The most important pieces are a price list of the services, contacts (emails, phones) including the address, along with a map, in this order. Add some kind of an "admin panel" (a place from which they can edit all of that) and you'll be done. Everything after that is just a fancy "nice to have" extra that they're probably not going to be expecting from you, though they'll probably tell it to you, just to see if you can pull it off.
Thanks!

Archived