Random Link from a RSS Feed ?

kareem_elzeiny

You'd want to use AJAX, but then you'd run against the same-origin policy. I think an iFrame solution would fail for the same reason. So I'm not sure you can. (Am I correct that the feed does not share the same domain as your document?)If you want to use PHP, it's easy, AND I have the code ready. Depending on your exact needs, it can be done in 10 lines or less.

Actually I'm using Blogger platform which doesn't give me a lot of options, so I can only use HTML & Java ScriptI found This script which redirect the visitor to a random post in the same blog

<div id="myLuckyPost"></div> <script type="text/javascript"> function showLucky(root){ var feed = root.feed; var entries = feed.entry || []; var entry = feed.entry[0]; for (var j = 0; j < entry.link.length; ++j){if (entry.link[j].rel == 'alternate'){window.location  = entry.link[j].href;}}} function fetchLuck(luck){ script = document.createElement('script'); script.src = '/feeds/posts/summary?start-index='+luck+'&max-results=1&alt=json-in-script&callback=showLucky'; script.type = 'text/javascript'; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script); } function feelingLucky(root){ var feed = root.feed; var total = parseInt(feed.openSearch$totalResults.$t,10); var luckyNumber = Math.floor(Math.random()*total);luckyNumber++; a = document.createElement('a'); a.href = '#random'; a.rel = luckyNumber; a.onclick = function(){fetchLuck(this.rel);}; a.innerHTML = 'View Random Post'; document.getElementById('myLuckyPost').appendChild(a); } </script> <script src="/feeds/posts/summary?max-results=0&alt=json-in-script&callback=feelingLucky"></script>

But I need to redirect the visitor to a random post in another blog, by changing the feed src it doesn't make any differenceI need to apply it on a specific RSS Feed, Any Ideas ??

Archived