String passing php to html and back

ameliabob

I am trying to build a function in the server to display on a browser which will allow the user to click on a checkbox and return values to the server. when I try using this code

$p = "PickSignal('{".$r[direction]."}')"; 					$s .= "<td><input type='checkbox' onclick='".$p."'></td>"; 

I get a syntax error in firebug. Using firebug to look at the page I see this

<table class="action" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><tr><td><input type="checkbox" {buy}')'="" onclick="PickSignal("></td>

What am I missing?

It's a quote issue. This is what gets printed:<input type='checkbox' onclick='PickSignal('{buy}')'>Notice the single quotes mess up the onclick attribute.
I am not sure I follow what you are saying here. To try and be more specific. I am trying to put the entire input line in an html document to send to a browser. So I would have the entire thing enclosed in double quotes. the word buy is the variable $r['direction'] after it has been interpreted. Wouldn't the single quotes chop this up?

Look at the line, look at how the single quotes are set up:<input type='checkbox' onclick='PickSignal('{buy}')'>That's what the browser actually receives. Maybe you want it to get this instead:<input type='checkbox' onclick='PickSignal("{buy}")'>or this:<input type='checkbox' onclick="PickSignal('{buy}')">

Archived