simple css and html into javascript

niche

how do I get the css and the html into the function?

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function myFunction(){return ("Hello world!");}</script></head><body><div style="float:right;"><script type="text/javascript">document.write(myFunction())</script></div></body></html>

Ingolme thanks for your help. I'm sure I can use your help. This topic has merged with CreateElement() and getAttribute() in this forum.

Thanks for your help and I need a little more of it please. I put your function in this script and I couldn't get it to work. What do I need to change?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html lang="en"><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="generator" content="PSPad editor, www.pspad.com"><title>Untitled</title><head><script type="text/javascript">function creatediv(){var nwdiv=document.createElement('div');nwdiv.style.float='right'nwdiv.id='mydiv';var txt='hello world!';document.body.apendChild(nwdiv);document.getElementById(mydiv).innerHTML=txt;}</script><style type="text/css"></style></head><body><form><input type="button" value="Click me!" onclick="creatediv()" /></form></body></html>

No hello world yet. function now reads as

function creatediv(){var nwdiv=document.createElement('div');nwdiv.style.float='right';nwdiv.id='mydiv';nwdiv.innerHTML='hello world!';document.body.appendChild(nwdiv);}

:

How about:

nwdiv.setAttribute("style","float:right;background-color:red");

How would I use the alert to display the html/css, from the function, in a popup? I've heard it can be done, but haven't found instructions yet.

Point! I didn't know that and I didn't consider that possibility. I tried "nwdiv.style.cssfloat='right';" without success. What do you think?

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't look a gift-horse in the mouth.anyway, now i'm making sure I understand the function and I'm OK until I get to: document.body.appendChild();I can't find the documentation that actually says appendChild() is a method of the property body and body is a property of the document object.Am I thinking about this correctly?

From my understanding, but I'm not entirely sure... when writing css via javascript, like this:nwdiv.style.float='right';.. the value 'right' in this case should be in double quotes: "right";Another example: nwdiv.style.backgoundColor = "blue"; So perhaps that's maybe why the float didn't work for you.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't look a gift-horse in the mouth.anyway, now i'm making sure I understand the function and I'm OK until I get to: document.body.appendChild();I can't find the documentation that actually says appendChild() is a method of the property body and body is a property of the document object.Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks for your suggestion, but that didn't work. Can you provide any insight to my last post (post #18)?

It looks like you had some errors in spelling. For example mwdiv and mydiv, you got them mixed up abit. If you look at what I wrote below and then look at your original code, you'll see what I mean. Also, I added a red background so you can see the changes when the div is created on the page, Also, I added a height of 100px. You can remove it if you wish.

<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang="en"><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="generator" content="PSPad editor, www.pspad.com"><title>Untitled</title><head><script type="text/javascript">function creatediv(){	var nwdiv = document.createElement('div');	nwdiv.style.float = "right";	nwdiv.style.backgroundColor = "red";	nwdiv.style.height = 100 + "px";	nwdiv.id = "mydiv";	var txt = "hello world!";	document.body.appendChild(nwdiv);	document.getElementById('mydiv').innerHTML = txt;}</script><style type="text/css"></style></head><body><form><input type="button" value="Click me!" onclick="creatediv()" /></form><script type="text/javascript></script></body></html>

Thanks for your suggestion, but that didn't work. Can you provide any insight to my last post (post #18)?

Thanks Don E. Now i'd like to focus on what O. Samuel's function is doing. I'm learning JS and just need to be absolutely certain that I know how this function works (I'm using this function purely as a learning tool). Specifically, I haven't found the documentation that's explicit about how "body" gets justified for inclusion in "document.body.appendChild(nwdiv);".Working backwards, I found appendChild() in both the html dom & xml dom (I think it's from the html dom, but won't bet the house on that). Anyway, there must be a straight-forward definition of what "document.body" stands for, I'd just like to know exactly where the reference is that spells it out? Someone has to have something like that that's on a page or two. Is there a link for something like that?

If I understand correctly what you're asking, you want to know what exactly document.body stands for? If so, here's a snippet from w3schools:"Each HTML document loaded into a browser window becomes a Document object.The Document object provides access to all HTML elements in a page, from within a script."So since the document object provides access to all HTML elements in a page, that also goes for the <body> element. As you already know, the body is what makes the webpage; everything in the body is what we see. So when you append children to the body, you have to use document.body because it's like saying "do you want to append this child?" "Yes", "Okay, where?" "To that document" "Okay, and where in that document?" "The body within that document."The document object, is actually part of the window object. So we could write this instead: window.document.body but from my understanding, we don't have to because js already knows what you're doing when you just do: document.body instead. The window object refers basically to the browser. So you basically go from window(browser) -> document(the current document inside that particular window(browser) -> body(the body element inside the document), etc.I hope that gives you some clarification.

Thanks Don E. Now i'd like to focus on what O. Samuel's function is doing. I'm learning JS and just need to be absolutely certain that I know how this function works (I'm using this function purely as a learning tool). Specifically, I haven't found the documentation that's explicit about how "body" gets justified for inclusion in "document.body.appendChild(nwdiv);".Working backwards, I found appendChild() in both the html dom & xml dom (I think it's from the html dom, but won't bet the house on that). Anyway, there must be a straight-forward definition of what "document.body" stands for, I'd just like to know exactly where the reference is that spells it out? Someone has to have something like that that's on a page or two. Is there a link for something like that?

Thanks again Don E and O. Samuel. What's the difference between the document object and the document property? If they're the same, why list one as a stand alone object and the other a a property of an object?

Archived