#1 Man In Tan

Man In Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:building PHP classes/functions
  • Languages:XHTML, PHP, CSS, XML, Python, some JavaScript

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but what is the best way to store user input in PHP?

I'm a bit late to the database scene. Until now, I've been using flat files, out of ease, but I really need to use something more efficient, if I'm going to develop applications people will want to use. And because I'm developing free software, I need free databases. I also need it to run in non-Windows environments.

I've done some research, and PHP supports many types of database software, including several flavors of SQL, which seems to be the most popular. But I'd hate to start working with one, just to need to switch later.

What would you recommend, and why?
If you agree with my sentiment, please spread the word about my campaign!
Call For XHTML Support in JavaScript

#2 birbal

birbal

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Interests:everything about computer and programming:specifically Web development and everything others which makes me interested
  • Languages:(x)html,css,(pl)sql,php,xml,xslt,xsd,javascript,java

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

mysql currently is most popular for web based applications which is also supported in unix and windows platform. most of the host support it.sql is general purpose language to query database server. so it should not be trouble to switch it later if you grasp sql once.
start with http://php.net/mysqli
or more for more compatible databse handling http://php.net/pdo
Tools: Mozilla tools || Mobile emulator ||
IDE: Netbeans 7.3 on Twilight theme (php) , Eclipse(java)
Debugger: Xdebug, Cachgrind
stop using mysql extension it is obsolete now. use mysqli instead or more better PDO for secure ,efficient database handle

#3 Starfall

Starfall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Languages:PHP, (X)(D)HTML (DOM), JavaScript, CSS, SQL, XML (DOM), Python

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I don't think you need to care about the type of the database you are programming the webscript for.
ADODB for instance, has a system that makes your code work in all kinds of database platforms.
But if you want a recommendation for a web database, most websites use MySQL. I'd recommend it. It is simple and comes with home webserver packages like wamp or xampp.
Recommended server side scripting language: PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

Recommended code editor for beginners: Notepad++ (supports coloring for many many coding languages)
Recommended PHP editor for advanced coders: phpDesigner
Recommended editor for advanced website designers: Dreamweaver

Favorite browser: Mozilla Firefox

#4 Man In Tan

Man In Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:building PHP classes/functions
  • Languages:XHTML, PHP, CSS, XML, Python, some JavaScript

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Alright, thank you to both of you!

One last question. I downloaded the latest version from the MySQL website, and tried to install it using these directions: http://0gb.us/?mysql
But when I got to the configure line ("./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql"), I got an error. about no such file existing. I've never had ./configure fail before. Any ideas?
If you agree with my sentiment, please spread the word about my campaign!
Call For XHTML Support in JavaScript

#5 boen_robot

boen_robot

XSLT senior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts
  • Interests:Everything having to do with computers... and science.
  • Languages:(X)HTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, Schema, PHP, JavaScript (a little), other XML based...

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Compiling is tough... try installing the pre-compiled version with instructions such as these.
The greatest difficulty in programming is not in finding answers, but in asking yourself the right questions. -- If nobody has said it before, then I'd like to take credit of thinking this up (during summer of 2010).
"Complex problems often have the simplest solutions" -- Not sure who said that first.
=== My projects (all feedback welcomed) ===
XML_XSLT2Processor(0.5.3) - perform XSLT 2.0 transformations in PHP.
PEAR2_Net_Transmitter(1.0.0a4) - reliable sockets.
PEAR2_Cache_SHM(0.1.2) - persistent data storage wrapper.
=== Useful tools ===
NetBeans - full featured PHP IDE, as well as a decent code editor for other things.
Fiddler2 - The best free HTTP debugger. Performance tuning, security check, integrity check, custom requests and more, all made easy.
Gobby - That's NOT my Nickname! Look at the topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users