Gobby

boen_robot

I recently found an application that would have had proven useful in the W3Schools project if anyone of us knew about it until then.Ladies, I give you Gobby. And there's no spelling mistake with Gabby either.It's an Instant Messanger. But not just any IM. It has one unique ability... it's what we've been dreaming for: Allowing each participant to edit a text file, which of course can be in any programming language. Special highlighing shows who edited the code. There's Syntax Highlighting for some popular languages. The best part is a group may even edit few files in a session and each member can save a copy any time.I haven't tryed it yet, due to a lack of anyone to code with, but I saw screenshots and I read a review... all of that two days ago.Merry cristmas and happy new year everybody. Enjoy! :)

• Like 1

One person starts a session from his IP adress on a port he specifies (the default is 6522). The others join. So there are no public servers to join to. It's all confidential. Sessions can also be password protected to prevent imposters from damaging the code.Once in a session, anyone can create a file that everyone in the session sees. Different files are placed in tabs, so one can always concentrate on one file.Files created in Gobby exist only in the session, unless someone saves them.Any existing document can be opened in Gobby, but for anyone who doesn't have a copy, the file exists only in the session.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't mean to be a "gravedigger", "necor poster", etc.. but this truly is an awesome program. If you ever have to work with 1 or more people, but cannot meet and program, then use this! Basically, one person starts a session, and turns their computer into a private server that holds the files for that session. Other people connect to his/her computer through the computers ip address. Then, the other people can open a file and it will constantly update, so if you type something almost instantly everyone else will be see the changes. That way, you don't overwrite each others work and create annoying errors.

Not only that, but you can fix each others' errors, which is the coolest sight ever :) . I remember having a session with a forum member that created lots of invalid lists (he didn't used the closing </li> tag) and while he kept typing on the new list items, I kept putting the closing tags on :) .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Link at top updated. Thanks. And you're welcome :) .
Sorry if I am bumping this but will it work, because I have a HTTP server already going out of my port 80. Which port does it use?

Sorry if I am bumping this but will it work, because I have a HTTP server already going out of my port 80. Which port does it use?
It's adjustable for each session you start.The default was something between 3000-4000.(I haven't used it in quite a while, and I've reinstalled my Windows since the last time, thus I haven't got it installed)