Opinions please

aspnetguy

Tell me what you think (good or bad). I finally got my site done an would like some feedback on it.http://www.spatterdesign.ca/Also I am devloping a project, sort of a CMS, and am opening it up to others who would like to suggest methodology and features.If you are interested, PM me and I'll tell you some more details.It is being written in ASP.Net 2.0 with SQL Server 2005 Express.

Looks alright. Here are my recommendations:

• get all the pages to validate if you're gonna place the buttons in the footer
  • your contact us page has table, so I'd pull that tabless button on that page
  • the ehader takes up a lot of realestate - I get the first paragraph or so, but then I have to scroll. And since its the same image for each page, it becomes a distraction to always have to look past it
  • page title grpahics seem out of proportion
  • get your news in an rss format and add the <link rel="alternate" ...> tag pointing to it.
  • the mission statement is positioned in a manner that makes it seem not as relavent - when it should be more evident, imo
  • i can't figure out if you need HOME and CONTACT US in both the header and the side navigation - my first impression is that it shuld be one or the other - but if you're worried about them missing it - then I guess I would feel that my design is not giving it just the right about of attention

The site looks great. I would agree with Skemcin that the header is a little large and could be reduced in size some. I also notice that at the bottom of the page is a blank area (I am using FireFox 1.5), not sure if its a browser issue, but its just above your validation buttons. Also, the background for your headers on each page (such as Services, The Work, etc.) appears to be the lighter cream color but the background for the rest of the area is white.But like I said earlier, it all looks great, but since you asked for opinions and thoughts, that is what I was able to come up with :)

The XHTML errors are generated by ASP.Net and are not in my original HTML.It is a know error in 1.1 which hopefully has been fixed in 2.0Another obvious area where MS is struggling with web standards...or just ignoring them

Another obvious area where MS is struggling with web standards...or just ignoring them

lol - probable the latter . . . :) The site does look (not busy at all) good and load time is awesome - less than a half a second on a T1 and only 2 seconds on 56k. I think those are the two most important things to get out of the way - speed and distraction - more speed and less distraction always makes a site more inviting to return to.

thanks, I strive for efficency...I hate sites that have a million flashing ads and stuff. I am not even too fond of flash sites. It is impressive the first time I see it then it becomes annoying. Especialy flash sites that take a long time to load...I am just going ot skip the intro anyways!

Yes, flash sites annoy me, since I have T3 and a really bad computer. Sure, it downloads in a jiffy, but then the stupid thing has gotta load in my browser.....if i have to visit a flash site, then i close all other windows. :)Amazing design. It's sweet, clean, and fast. 9/10 'coz i don't really like the nav menu to the left. The background highlight color could be changed to match the site in general, but otherwise, perfecto! :)

• 2 weeks later...

looks good. at a glance I do notice that the header is a bit large. an 800x600 user might be a bit more annoyed. also when you referance mozilla and firefox, maybe you should provide the viewer with links to mozilla.com or more information? just a thought. really great design. I'm impressed.