Sign in to follow this  
shiyanderu

How to define restrictions on an attribute

Hello again,I have a custom date attribute that I'd like to add as "required" on an element. I would like this date attribute to follow the mm/dd/yyyy format, and so I would like to put restrictions on it.W3Schools has mentioned that restrictions can be added to both elements and attributes, but I have yet to see any example of a restriction being set on an attribute. If anyone could help me set a restriction on an attribute to conform to mm/dd/yyyy, I would be most grateful.Code's below :-)<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="note"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="to" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="unbounded"/> <xs:element name="from" type="xs:string"/> <xs:element name="subject"> <xs:complexType> <xs:attribute name="date" type="xs:date" use="required" form="qualified"/> </xs:complexType> </xs:element> <xs:element name="body"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:any minOccurs="0"/> </xs:sequence> </xs:complexType> </xs:element> </xs:sequence> </xs:complexType> </xs:element></xs:schema>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified">	<xs:element name="note">		<xs:complexType>			<xs:sequence>				<xs:element name="to" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>				<xs:element name="from" type="xs:string"/>				<xs:element name="subject">					<xs:complexType>						<xs:attribute name="date" type="xs:date" use="required" form="qualified"/>					</xs:complexType>				</xs:element>				<xs:element name="body">					<xs:complexType>						<xs:sequence>							<xs:any minOccurs="0"/>						</xs:sequence>					</xs:complexType>				</xs:element>			</xs:sequence>		</xs:complexType>	</xs:element></xs:schema>

It is possible, instead of this line:

<xs:attribute name="date" type="xs:date" use="required" form="qualified"/>

you need to have something like this:

<xs:attribute name="date" type="carType" use="required" form="qualified"/>

then add this section somewhere:

<xs:simpleType name="carType">  <xs:restriction base="xs:string">	<xs:enumeration value="Audi"/>	<xs:enumeration value="Golf"/>	<xs:enumeration value="BMW"/>  </xs:restriction></xs:simpleType>

Obviously carType is not what you need, but it's an example lifted right off the w3schools website...http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_facets.aspCraig.[edit]oh man! sorry i didn't realise how old this topic was... sorry the assistance is so late in coming, i presume you'd have sorted it by now[/edit]