Review: need honest opinion

aspnetguy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the 'O' had a little jaggedness but it isn't that noticable. If you're showing it to clients though your portfolio should be perfect.
yeah, I got a bit lazy and used the magic wand selector...that tool never works right for me...know it is going to be more work to fix it than doing right in the first place...arggh (Photoshop 6...only at work...I know...I have CS2 at home)

pulp fiction:I actually like the thin layout, because it's clear and easy to read.I find that happens even with CS2 depending on what I'm doing. I don't have a lot of experience behind me so I actually don't know how to use Photoshop all that well.

Ahhh.... with a resolution of 1280x1024, this thin layout is giving me a headache!!! I mean just starting at this center, at this small (for my kind of eyes) text... it's just killing me! What's worse that I can't change the font size!*rubbes his eyes after closing the site, without reading a word of it.*I like the colour theme tho. Green is not my favorite color, but it fits the rest of the page, so it's good.As noted above, you MUST have thumbnails and the site name not far away. A portfolio without links is just a biography or a "Skill set" page.

I'm really not liking how the navigation gloss is basically the same color as the background---it may seem to 'flow' for some people, but it just really looks like a mess to me (just the navigation.)I love the rest of the site! As always, your color choice is amazing and contrasts perfectly. I love the logo. It's unique and I can still remember it after looking at your site a day ago, which is a plus on my list.Man, that more button is amazing. I sat there for 5 minutes just clicking it, over and over again. Totally awesome.But for things like this:welcome.gifYou should use text. I checked your speed report, and let me tell you something---it's not very good, unfortunately.14.4K----------92.07 seconds28.8K----------46.14 seconds33.6K----------39.57 seconds56K------------23.82 secondsISDN 128K----7.43 secondsT1 1.44Mbps---0.83 secondsMore than one and a half minutes on the slowest dial up, and three quarters of a minute on 28.8k.Sure, 56k (the common dialup modem) is half a minute, but I'm not liking the speed.Of course, I'm on T2, so I'm loading so fast it's unimaginable...but...not everyone has internet that fast.In comparison, this forum page (the one you're looking at now, since you're reading this post) takes about 150 seconds to load in 14.4k. And it has 51 images and objects and so on to load remotely. You have 16.Something needs to be done. :)I'm sorry if this seems harsh. I was just giving you an honest opinion so you can improve your awesome site even further. =)

hey I asked for honest. I had not even looked at speed yet but thank you for pointing that out. Where did you get the speed report? I would like to play with the site and see what I can improve.

ok I added my site resources and they weigh in at just under 70K (approx 17 seconds on 56K modem) not too bad but I can do better. BTW I removed 42K worth of JS libraries I was testing so that had some big effects on the loading time.Here is my new speed test14.4K 53.78 seconds28.8K 26.89 seconds33.6K 23.05 seconds56K 13.83 secondsISDN 128K 4.24 secondsT1 1.44Mbps 0.37 seconds

lol, I generally use images as little as possibel but I do want this to be as impressive as possible.
There are many dimension to an impression. Your first layout was an good enough impression to stimulate curiosity. But as I dig deeper I learn more and more about the way you set things up. Seeing the use of CSS in place of images might be more impressionable than the cool shadow effect that an image gets you (especially since you already demonstrate that effect in your header). I think you've shown the imaging capabilities everywhere else - now its time to show your other capabilities - an understanding of the user interface and the importance of load time and accessibility.Know what I mean?You easily get past the first impression, so don't focus too much on that - think about the other areas that you can impress your visitors.Like Choco points out, the "Welcome to My Portfolio" and "The Water Cooler" images should be coded as <h1> and <h2> tags - thats impressive. Showcasing your CSS skills, your ability to make good design choices (trade off between css and images), and the awareness to make the page optimized for search engines (using the header tags) is more impressionable than eye candy.:)

There are many dimension to an impression. Your first layout was an good enough impression to stimulate curiosity. But as I dig deeper I learn more and more about the way you set things up. Seeing the use of CSS in place of images might be more impressionable than the cool shadow effect that an image gets you (especially since you already demonstrate that effect in your header). I think you've shown the imaging capabilities everywhere else - now its time to show your other capabilities - an understanding of the user interface and the importance of load time and accessibility.Know what I mean?You easily get past the first impression, so don't focus too much on that - think about the other areas that you can impress your visitors.Like Choco points out, the "Welcome to My Portfolio" and "The Water Cooler" images should be coded as <h1> and <h2> tags - thats impressive. Showcasing your CSS skills, your ability to make good design choices (trade off between css and images), and the awareness to make the page optimized for search engines (using the header tags) is more impressionable than eye candy. :)
Point taken. I'll focus on that and see what I coume up with.

nice job. i like the logo. i would probably try and bring the green color in the header into the site maybe on the headings "Welcome to My Portfolio" etc. for consistency. but overall its very nice so well done

nice job. i like the logo. i would probably try and bring the green color in the header into the site maybe on the headings "Welcome to My Portfolio" etc. for consistency. but overall its very nice so well done
Thanks

Actually he didn't send it yet. I found that same one (online version) with a google search.Also I intend to move the CSS and JS to their own external files. Regardless, but do external files load lsower then witht he code all in one file? (I would imagine it would be slower).

not to my knowledge. In fact the initial file gets loaded quicker since its not as heavy. Change the url i posted for your speed test and substitute www.iribbit.net - I don't fair as well on image sizes either but I mention it because the report points out threshold for external JS and CSS files as you had just questioned - so it will tell you if you have anything there to worry about.http://www.websiteoptimization.com/service...www.iribbit.net

okay I think I have optimized it to death. Here is the new speed test and the site doesn't look much diffrent either.14.4K 21.63 seconds28.8K 11.02 seconds33.6K 9.50 seconds56K 5.86 secondsISDN 128K 2.07 secondsT1 1.44Mbps 0.55 seconds

no, I wrote it. I used a loading animation from http://www.ajaxload.info. basically you just make a div that is the width and height of the window, make it black and opacity 50%, append it to the dom. make the small box with the loading image and append it to the dom and whenthe ajax request is done remove both.feel free to take the code I have on my page.