Review: need honest opinion

aspnetguy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet - congrats - now its marketing time.check your local governments - see if they use external vendors to maintain their websites. I got a local gig that guarentees me 3hrs a month of work. Perfect for getting some local visibility and padding the bank account for some relatively easy work. I know you might be aspiring to do bigger and better jobs - but getting a few shoe-ins is always a good thing - plus you get to focus on the customer relationship more.Anyway, might be time to invest in your local paper or something like that. Find a few local small businesses and offer an introductory rate fro an email campaign. Or, if you need a paint job for your car, offer to trade services . . . sure this is nothing new for you but now you've got a site that can help you go in that direction.Great work!

Yes marketing...my least favorite part :). I have already got and finished my first contract (generated by the site) through getacoder.com and I have one at scriptlance that is looking promising. Before I go to far though I have to clarify somethings at work...I am meeting with my boss to clear up some of the fuzzy lines in my contract regarding freelancing. I am sure we can find some middle ground as our company only deals with CMS work.

good resource - alot of ColdFusion work there.:-)Yeah those fuzzy lines need to be very clear - this is where big brother might begin to monitor your network activity a little closer. When I got to this point with one of my previous employers, I reduced my hours to part-time since I started out with a few bigger clients - plus she only focused on non-profit and had no interest in for-profit ventures - so that fuzzy line was easily defined.

Yes marketing...my least favorite part :). I have already got and finished my first contract (generated by the site) through getacoder.com and I have one at scriptlance that is looking promising. Before I go to far though I have to clarify somethings at work...I am meeting with my boss to clear up some of the fuzzy lines in my contract regarding freelancing. I am sure we can find some middle ground as our company only deals with CMS work.
Congrats! It looks awesome. Especially that second testimonial...what handsome devil wrote that? :):)

Hey, don't mean to be picky,

As a designer and developer the skills I have developed in communication and technology are essential to making a high quality website or application.
uses the word "develop" twice. How about:
As a web professional, the web design and development skills I have (accomplished, achieved, attained, or gained) in communication and technology are essential to making a high quality website or application.
The breaks up the use of the word "design" and then eliminates the repetitive use of "develop"(this is on the homepage by the way)

Hey, don't mean to be picky,uses the word "develop" twice. How about:The breaks up the use of the word "design" and then eliminates the repetitive use of "develop"(this is on the homepage by the way)
thanks, i'll do that :)

Speaking of picky, especially now that it's live, I said it once, I'll say it again about your about tab:

Let me put my innovation and many years experience to work for you.
should be
Let me put my innovation and many years of experience to work for you.
I'm not seeing a mouseover change using IE 7 on your portfolio page. I know someone else mentioned this before, but I can't see it either.Ok, maybe this is a vocab lack on my part, but what does forms of programs mean in the following on your portfolio page? You mean as in "...all related programs to help you run..."? Or is this a reference to something I'm just not understanding as a wanting to learn more n00b?
This includes Database design, custom web and desktop applications, message boards, guestbooks, customer relationship management, and all forms of programs to help you run your business and life smoothly and easily.
Other than that...looking good! And I was not familiar with getacoder. I'll look them up sometime.

Thanks for pointing those mistakes out. I have never been really good with grammer. I'll get around to fixing that. As for not getting a mouseover change in IE7 I'll check into that too. Checking and hacking one version of IE was bad enough, now there is 2.getacoder is okay but I like scriptlance and getafreelancer much better.