Review: need honest opinion

aspnetguy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like where you are going with this - great work.I like the color combination header tags and the map on the contact us page is well done also.The only thing I can pick on is that the index.html page has two <h1> tags. There should only really ever be one <h1> tag. You could assign the <h1> and the <h2> tags the same CSS attributes to make it look the way you want it while not breaking nay SEO best practices. So, just one <h1> per page but has many other <h2> tags as you like.Excellent work.:)- is it only me or do those little grey drop boxes need a sound element - like the sound the doors made on Star Trekhttp://www.stdimension.org/MediaLib/effect...n/dooropen1.wav(lol)

for whatever reason IE barfs at parts of Mootools if I have an xml declartion on the page <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> before the doctype so I had to take it out and use meta tags to set the char encoding

The site is looking pretty good so far. I have a few suggestions though. The footer image, where it looks like burnt paper looks kind of blurry, I think this kind of messes it up because everything else seems so defined and sharp. Also there are still one or two little spots in the upper right of the header, not sure if you wanted those there. The sliding pane button is pretty hard to see, esp. when you mouse over it. How about making it a little darker or changing the color of the font? It could be a problem for color blind/impaired people. One last thing! When I used the email and the ajax thing popped up only the top portion of the page was covered with the loading screen. You may have to use javascript to fetch the page dimension so that it correctly covers the page, not just the top of it. If you didn't catch that, scroll down when using the email to see what I mean (you have to scroll down to send it anyways). There you good, and good job so far!EDIT: oh yeah, I was using firefox with a 1024x768 resolutionEDIT 2: Just noticed this, but for your title caption under portfolio on the images it has html code, don't know if you actually want that there :).

Amazing. You did a really good job optimizing the site--the speed has improved by leaps and bounds. I love it.Maybe you should make your effects slightly slower (just slightly, not too slow). Right now, if you click on the map button or the send message button, it flashes in my face for about half a second and then goes away. Your portfolio gets a very hurried look.My only other complaint is your portfolio page. For your site images, I suggest making the base image black and white (or dimmed), and then making the rollover color. Or making it slightly greenish and dark to match your portfolio and again full color for hover. Currently, the bright setting that appears on hover is way too overpowering.Great job with everything else. =D

Yeah, great looking site and I love the effects! I do have one tidbit of advice - when you click on the "Send Message" link on the Contact page without entering any information into the fields, you are presented with a rather gruff message: "Error - You must give your name!". I'm pretty sure some client looking towards you for business would rather see a more pleasant "Woops! Please provide your name before you send a message." Typically, I think it may be better to use "please" and "do" rather than "must" and "don't", especially when it comes to business.

I tryed viewing your site again. It's better this time. The fonts seem (I'm not sure if they are really) slightly bigger and furthermore, they are resizable. I've finally read all you have :) and of course, I have some more stuff.I noticed your contact form accepts blank messages. It shouldn't (check out the message by TESTER).On the Portfolio page, I think labeling the button "Make a request" rather then "Quote" would be better. By reading "Quote" I thought I would read a quote by a customer you had (a.k.a. a testimonial) and instead I got a request box. Dissapointing.The fonts under the water cooler are still not resizable.When resized, the "Contact" link in the menu gets in the white area (at least in 1280x1024). It would be wise to somehow resize the menu box to fit the contents of the menu.

Here is my $.02For SEO, you should do a little more with your titles and add your <meta> tags - keywords and description unique to each page. Your titles are more effective if you start them with keywords. For example, this would get a better ranking than what you currently have:<title>Portfolio - Web Page Design and Development - Justin Bezanson</title>For the sake of word-smithing, unless you have a print and web portfolio, the use of the word "online" to describe your portfolio is sort of redundant.On your portfolio page, I've always prefered the rollover concept that you use to have the more vibrant image be shown on the mouse over - not the toned down image. I often grey scale the image and have the mouseover be in color. This way the image is still crisp and clean with whatever detail might be lost with any other filter.Nice job on the <h1> and <h2> manipulation.:-)I'm not sure if there is something you can do in place of the "quote" on the portfolio page. It looks like you are using the same form and posting method on the contact us page. Maybe the impression mentioned earlier is a good idea - change it to testimonial and have a customer give you a nice quote to support the visual presentation. I just think it is inherit to go to the contact page if someone wanted a quote - if not, mentioning it somewhere with a link might be just as effective. Right now, I have no idea if you are a likeable guy!:)I really can't find anything else to pick apart - I think yo';ve done an excellent job. I'll send you $2 in paypal - go have a beer on me.:)

I've been swamped with work for a while, so this is my first time checking in here for what seems like ages.Overall, I like the site, despite the skinny when I am looking at it on my widescreen with 1440x990 res. I think I missed something that got changed later, as I'm not seeing any kind of sliding display for your portfolio. I'm only seeing three bannerish links to sites in a vertical list which open up to a freeze frame of those sites' home page. I would recommend that since you list the actually url for those sites, make it linkable. Maybe potential clients want to see the whole site without having to type it all in on their own...right?I love the color choices, although I do agree that the torn look on the footer does look a shade less sharp than your graphics overall. I think in part it's due to whatever image you overlaid on the green header, the texture there looks much higher res than the plan gray scale texture on the bottom. You might want to consider flipping and then grayscaling that bgd of the header, and then blending it to white if needed for your center text area to assist in a better look for the footer.Three nitpick things: In your about: "Let me put my innovation and many years experience to work for you." should say "...many years of experience..."And on the portfolio page: "...you will get prompt completion of the project...," I know what you're trying to say, but it also seems like your inbox is so empty that you've nothing else to do, or that you're going to drop everything for them. I would recommend saying "you will get timely completion of the project", although "your project" makes it more personal to the client. Oh heck, let's just restate the whole thing. It said: "When you hire me to get your project done you can be sure you will get prompt completion of the project, excellent customer service, and always, a high quality finished product." Try something like this: "When you hire me to meet your project needs, you can be sure of excellent customer service on your high quality product which will be finished in a timely fashion." Eh, that's still a bit awkward, but it's a bit more direct and personalized to the client.And on Bill LeDrew's page, don't say "done" say "built" or "created" as you did on the other pages. Those tabs are slick. I have to say that. Nicely done. The map is cool, but does it make a difference to people?One odd thing, you mostly talk as if you are a single entity, and then on the portfolio page, you go from in your web design still being an I, and then further down in graphic design & custom development talking we-speak. Not sure why you did that, as there is no mention anywhere of doing those types of projects with additonal parties, although you had mentioned on your main page that some work you have done is yours alone, and others in collaboration. The Quote tab didn't bother me. A lot of sites do the "ask for a quote" as a quote button. But I can see where that might be misleading to some.Nicely done overall.

the bottom graphic was blurred purposely but I will consider changing it to be more sharp. I am going to review the content for grammer, etc soon. I think I will take the advice and change the request a quote to testimonials as it is a bit redundant withe contact form. I will also be playing with rollover graphics, etc.thanks everyone for your advice and opinions so far. I'll let you know when I have made the changes

I have adjusted everything I think unless I missed something.I played with the portfolio images B/W and makign them color on mouseover. I didn't like it, looked to dull so I just lowered the brightness of the mouseover I had.I just need to get some testimonials and I am all set.Thanks for all your help guys.

I like the guitar in the logo.For now, I can't really give any constructive critisism sorry.You seem to be good with graphics, and with ASP.NET skills you'll surely get quite a few customers.
I agree! I think it looks really good and you seem to use your sources that you have to make your portfolio look nice. Nice work, I'd hire you :) -ant