CSS and text correction

Guest typoz

I am the web editor of a mid-size newspaper web site in the United States. We receive stories for our site directly out of a front-end Quark system used in our newsroom.We often have text come into our system that uses "curly quotes" and other kinds of specialized characters, and when these show up in certain browsers, they display as question marks. Not too pretty.Stories that come into our system through the automated text dump run through a filter that converts the bad characters to standard ones that can be displayed correctly. But when we do manual cut/paste jobs, the characters are all there.I guess what I'm wondering is this: Is there any way that our CSS can "transform" characters that it sees into other characters that we define. I don't seem to see any documentation online that would provide this functionality, but I'm always hopeful. If not, does anyone have suggestions for how text that is already written into the HTML page one way can be transformed using scripting or some other dynamic trickery?Thanks in advance for anyone who can contribute two cents..."Typoz"

We often have text come into our system that uses "curly quotes" and other kinds of specialized characters, and when these show up in certain browsers, they display as question marks. Not too pretty.
Hmm, maybe you can try different character-encodings in the meta information?