My First Free-Lance Job...

LifeInBinary

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update.This is looking pretty good - mostly thanks to Skemcin. Deadline for the first mock-up is Thursday. I have the first and second mock-ups completed, and the first one already coded. I'm just letting the client give me deadlines and keeping my mouth shut - that way I can go ahead and get the current task done so that I can focus on other things in my personal life (like college). I'm waaay ahead of deadlines now, but I am thinking the next mock-up is going to give me lots of trouble. I asked for help with it in another post (the one about the interface) - but geocities deleted all my stuff, so when I find hosting for it I'll go back and edit that - please check back with it.Thanks again for everything guys - especially Skemcin,LifeInBinary.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't be bothered to read all 3 pages, but what have you done on the site?I mean...have you made any scripts? Have you used server-side languages? Have you only made the design ((X)HTML and CSS)?What have you done? I'm not even sure if you said this in the first post, since I just clicked on page 3, hehe.Well, hard to say for me, though, since I don't use dollars. I use "Norwegian kroner" lol

I couldn't be bothered to read all 3 pages, but what have you done on the site?
Good question andersmoen. I have designed all of the graphics in Macromedia Fireworks. I started coding it all into HTML first, then I was going to convert it to XHTML - which shouldn't be difficult, as I close all my tags and use all lowercase by habit (except for ' /'). I started doing it the hardway with a really complicated table, then realized that I would have to alter the original layout concept just a bit if I wanted the text to be in the code instead of the image - which I do. Thankfully, Skemcin showed me an easier way to do this using divs - as I have not learned CSS yet, I'm just starting the tutorials. I've played around with CSS enough to insert it into the head and to edit someone else's work. Anyway, Skemcin helped me with the divs and CSS and got my layout pretty close to my original concept. There are some differences from the concept - like the boxes containing my headers not having the same height, centering issues, a background image not being able to span where I need it due to tranceparency/layering issues - but I understand that these problems exist, and we got it close enough. I fine-tuned what I needed and got things close enough for the client probably. However, i am planning on showing him my original mock-up - just because it looks better - and tell him to anticipate compromises due to HTML limitations - because I will still have 1-2 weeks to actually code it - I was just getting a head start to make sure that I could code what I designed. Maybe I can figure out some way to purely table the whole thing (I know that's frowned upon, but it works). The way things line up, I think tabling it is going to be VERY tricky. The area for text is going to be the problem I think. I will have to remove the text from the original Fireworks file, then slice the same area to use as the background for the cell containing text. I'll take up Skemcin or ste's offer for hosting and show you guys what I'm talking about. Skemcin, I know these things take time but I'm not usually one to give up and say it's impossible - the way I look at it, I have two weeks, if I can't get it done in two weeks then I'll use the other design with divs.On a better note: I think I have designed the table layout perfectly for mock-up 2. It looks waaay better than the first too. It has a 3d feel with shading and an actual interface. I can't wait to show you guys that one and see what you think. It's the best website layout I have ever made I think.(sorry, I know it's not very helpful not being able to show you the websites - but I'm working on that).Again, thanks to everyone who has helped me in any way - it's always appreciated.Thanks guys,LifeInBinary.

Remember that time is money. I do not think it would do any harm to show your mock along site the functional coded version we worked on. This, if nothing else, shows progress (ahead of schedule) and it might even satisfy him and not require anymore time. Something I learned along time ago that I admittedly still struggle with to this day is that you cannot get attached to the code your write or the design you create. This might present you the opportunity to finish early and not have too much invested in a project you already have no idea how you are getting paid. I just think with the situation as it is, you might consider showing everything you have to date and let the client decide whether you should move forward your way or their way. I even have in my contracts that the client can opt to pay a bonus if the project is completed x number of days ahead of schedule. Motivation for me to get it done, and not necessarily a requirement on the client's end, but it leaves a great impression and opens the window to suggestive sell other service to consume the surplus of time - i.e. emarketing campaign to announce the site - more cash.

Remember that time is money. I do not think it would do any harm to show your mock along site the functional coded version we worked on. This, if nothing else, shows progress (ahead of schedule) and it might even satisfy him and not require anymore time. Something I learned along time ago that I admittedly still struggle with to this day is that you cannot get attached to the code your write or the design you create. This might present you the opportunity to finish early and not have too much invested in a project you already have no idea how you are getting paid. I just think with the situation as it is, you might consider showing everything you have to date and let the client decide whether you should move forward your way or their way. I even have in my contracts that the client can opt to pay a bonus if the project is completed x number of days ahead of schedule. Motivation for me to get it done, and not necessarily a requirement on the client's end, but it leaves a great impression and opens the window to suggestive sell other service to consume the surplus of time - i.e. emarketing campaign to announce the site - more cash.
Thanks for that. Lot's of good info there that I haven't taken into consideration. You're right about me not even knowing how I'm getting paid, and about him maybe being satisfied with what I have so far. True. I think I'll take your advice and show him both mock-ups as well as the actual HTML if I can get it uploaded by tomorrow. I have college from 6:00pm to 8:00pm and it's an hour away...Wish me luck, and thanks for the info,LifeInBinary.P.S. - Could you possibly post or pm or email a copy of your contract so that I can get an idea of what vital elements I need to focus on when it comes time for me to write mine?