~HELP~

Guest WebSpider

Guest WebSpider

Werd ppls, I've seen tons of forum codes and im building one myself but i need some tips from some1 who has built a functioning one themselves. how does the work? it makes absolutely no sense to me. btw im a noob so ya, if your explaining it please make it foolproof :)

so you would like to create your very own online discussion board software from scratch holmes?PLANNING is anyone's first step. That includes research. Research your idea. Find others like it and figure out what they do right and what they do wrong - then PLAN your design and development accordingly.

I suggest learning the following languages completely before even attempting such a feat. The important ones are in bold:HTMLCSSPHPSQL(MySQL, Etc.)JavaScriptGood luck. :)

I agree with all of the previous posts. I have made a forum already, and I am going to make a new forum for my new site. It is really important that you know mySQL, because you will use that to save any of the posts. Also, you should know PHP (or perl). I'll be making my new one in PHP. I'll give you some of the planning that I have come up with for my new forums.The files:forum.php --- this page will display all of the forum topics. For me it will have an id in the url for which forum.topic.php --- this page will display all of the posts for one topicnewtopic.php --- this page will let a user post a new topic.reply.php --- This page will let a user post a reply to a topic.These are the required FORM files for a simple forum. You will need a file then to actually perform the tasks (e.g for reply.php the user would fill out a form with what topic they want. Then in a new file like replyrun.php you would actually ad the reply). This really accomplishes the majority of a forum. The database:You will need to have a database to keep track of the forums. You could do it in two ways: have one table, and then id's for each post, or you could have tables for each topic, and one table that has a "table of contents" and contains the original post for each topic, and has the table name for the rest of the topic. For my old, simple forum I used the one table way. But I find this gets really messy (mostly for me when I need to do some admin stuff for it). So for my new topic I will have individual tables for each topic (and each table will then have only the reply's for that topic). You could really go either way with this, just depends if you feel comfortable making new tables dynamicaly and if you want serious organization.>I hope this helps. I'll be making my new forum over the next weeks, so feel free to contact me at axel@macintoshclub.com if you have any questions about your own.axel