JSP Tutorial

kurtsfar

Hi, I am a studen of Computer and System Sciences in Sweden. One of the programming languages I like best is Java. Some parts of my education include programming on Internet and/or the Web, and I alway used W3school's great tutorials as a reference. However, I noticed the lack of a JSP-tutorial. I belive JSP have great advantage over many server-scripting languages, including PHP. It might not be as easy to learn as some others, but the benefits like being able to use the continuously growing Java API makes it a great choise.I use JSP myself on my site:www.webpelican.comThe main reason I use JSP is the navigation tree menu. Always liked the tree structure for navigation, but I didn't want to use javascript since active scripting could be disallowed on clients.JSP is very powerful to use for this kind of application, since you can use convenient classes like DefaultMutableTreeNode to store and change the tree structure between requests.In short: JSP is great, maybe somewhat complex for those not used to Java, but since it is so powerful it is The server-scripting language to use.However, my knowledge is Java not JSP with all it's tag libraries etc...One more of your great tutorials would help me - and many others - alot.Once again, great site!Best RegardsKurtsfar

true JSP does have many advantages over most languages, much like ASP.Net...I use ASP.Net because of the compiled code...JSP has this too I know...but I have found ASP.Net has much more resources and components.

true JSP does have many advantages over most languages, much like ASP.Net...I use ASP.Net because of the compiled code...JSP has this too I know...but I have found ASP.Net has much more resources and components.

I haven't learned ASP.net yet. Maybe there is easier to get support using ASP, but are u sure there are more components? I mean Java API is very big...

I'm also a member on this forum which is coded with jsp. It does look like a powerful language, the forum is coded by the admins from scratch I think. Love the layout...

Well maybe not more components but very usful ones. You can buy many components from ASP.Net dedicated companys like Telerik and Infragistics.I also find apps easier to write in VS.Net or even manually in Notepad with a batch compiler.I have written JSP, I actually took a course in JAVA and JSP in college but found it hard to get the codebehind updated...then again I may find things different now that I have been programming for a few years.I guess the ultimate reason I am so deep in .Net is because that is what we use at work and I get free hosting from work which only supports ASP.Net and SQL Server.At the risk of personal threats and bodily harm, I also feel more comfortable with a supported product from microsoft, not just an open source that everyone can work on. Despite MS screw ups and the how much we, myself included, like to rag on them for mistakes and buggy programs, they have many great products and it is easy to modify just about any MS product (ie Excel, Outlook, CRM, etc) with .Net.So that is why I use it and why I feel it has better support, functionality, and resourses. Thats just my opinion though.