XML Data Islands

Guest egb

Opera doesn't have XML support as far as I know. As for FireFox- it's a standart compilant browser. the <xml> tag in HTML is unofficial and FF doesn't use unofficial tags. IE6 has a full support for XML which is why it's the only browser showing this.Forget this method. XSLT is the one true way of transorming XML documents.

• 1 month later...

XML tags in html documents are invalid as far as I know. They are also Microsoft proprietary. That is why Firefox doesn't support them. Also Opera has full XML support, more than Firefox I think. Firefox didn't have XSLT until a year ago.

IE6 has a full support for XML which is why it's the only browser showing this.
It's IE that has the crappy XML support. No XSLT and many other things.

Well, yes... the <xml> tag is unofficial because only microsoft uses it. It's not standart compilant. I don't know about when FireFox started having XML and XSLT support, but version 8.52 of Opera doesn't have any support of XML styled with XSLT (I haven't tested CSS styling though). Opera 9 has support for XSLT though I'm not sure how full it is.IE doesn't have XSLT support?!?! You gotta be kiddin me! I can't say if it's "crappy" but there IS support of XML and related technologies, especially XSLT.

• 3 weeks later...

SO? Any idea to put a XML data island or some other way to embed the .xml document into the page?or only way (working with all browsers) is to use "Microsoft.XMLHTTP" (or something...) and calling method Load(...) ?

BTW....Full XML support != supporting <xml> tagMany many many browsers support xml/xslt... many many....Supporting particular html tags (especially ones that don't even exist!) and supporting xml are totally different issues. You can find many sites that have even moved to xml (atleast out of the sites I frequent), and I have no problem viewing them in links, dillo, firefox, .... the list goes on...

Also Opera has full XML support
Sadly, this is not the case. Opera will not support xml fully until Opera 9:http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/w90p2.htmlOr, maybe it will support xml, but in my opinion, xml is worthless without xsl support.

It actually has some XSLT support. At least the second beta that is. I tested a page I have executed with JavaScript and it worked on Opera 9. Nice :) .