where should I start

Guest macdave

Guest macdave

Hi all, just registared on this site, and I am looking forward to learning alot, but I wanted to ask where should I start. I want to learn HTML, Xhtml, and CSS, but in what in order should I learn them. i was told by someone else that I shold go straingt to CSS, but I thought I should start with HTML and go up from there. What do you think?Dave

HTML and XHTML are essential the same...just different versions. HTML stopped at 4.01 and the next version was XHTML 1.0. The differences are what tags you are allowed to use. XHTML is more strict and limits the use of obsolete tags.My suggestion would be to learn XHTML, don't bother with HTML, and then learn CSS by mixing it into your XHTML.

Scince XHTML is almost the same as HTML, you should study HTML first. XHTML has only few differences which you could learn in minutes. Besides- w3schools only explains the differences between HTML 4.01 and XHTML in the XHTML tutorial. However, don't get used to HTML as it has very few things that you need to know. Especially the advanced secion of the site... the only useful thing there is probably the "meta" tag.So the best order to learn things "might" be the one which is on the site:HTMLXHTMLCSS---------Then you may specialize yourself in some other language if you see things you can't do with this trio. Like JavaScript, PHP, ASP or (my favourites) XML, XSLT, etc.

Welcome to W3Schools macdave :)The 3 most important things for making a good site I would think are:~HTML or XHTML~CSS~PHP or ASPAll those put together can crate a very user interactive dynamic site. After learning those you might want to learn SQL so you can crate login and registration systems! There is ALOT to learn! But make sure you learn HTML or XHTML before you go on to anything else!-alzable