XSD, XML, SQL DataBase

CPod

I work for a company that has 20+ offices. We are in the process of normalizing our data for electronic exchange of records between branch offices and headquarters. Specs require that we use XML documents for this purpose. I ‘m mainly a COBAL programmer with little experience with “newer technology” yada yada……..I built an XSD (per head office specs) in XMLspy that’s about two thousand lines.My question is, do I have to write a program say in PERL or any S3L of my choosing to create the XML document to XSD parameters? If so my loop iterations will be in excess of six blocks deep. Not a big deal just very labor intensive considering the scope of the project. All my research (This site, Altova, and many many more) have not addressed this in much detail. Any help would be much appreciated.

I work for a company that has 20+ offices. We are in the process of normalizing our data for electronic exchange of records between branch offices and headquarters. Specs require that we use XML documents for this purpose. I ‘m mainly a COBAL programmer with little experience with “newer technology” yada yada……..I built an XSD (per head office specs) in XMLspy that’s about two thousand lines.My question is, do I have to write a program say in PERL or any S3L of my choosing to create the XML document to XSD parameters? If so my loop iterations will be in excess of six blocks deep. Not a big deal just very labor intensive considering the scope of the project. All my research (This site, Altova, and many many more) have not addressed this in much detail. Any help would be much appreciated.
hi, Please give more details not confidential but some major around that. so i can understand your problem easily.andI built an XSD (per head office specs) in XMLspy that’s about two thousand lines. ???? why you have created this ??? you need just transaction between branches right ???

hi, Please give more details not confidential but some major around that. so i can understand your problem easily.andI built an XSD (per head office specs) in XMLspy that’s about two thousand lines. ???? why you have created this ??? you need just transaction between branches right ???
Thanks for your response Ashvini,I guess my question is, do I have to query our database bring back FirstName, LastName, etc..for example using say PERL. Then iterate through my query wrapping XML tags around the results i.e. ( <FirstName>Peter</FirstName> ) print it out to a XML extension thus creating a XML document. Then take this document and validate it against my schema?Most of what I’ve read deals with querying an XML document not creating the document itself.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your response Ashvini,I guess my question is, do I have to query our database bring back FirstName, LastName, etc..for example using say PERL. Then iterate through my query wrapping XML tags around the results i.e. ( <FirstName>Peter</FirstName> ) print it out to a XML extension thus creating a XML document. Then take this document and validate it against my schema?Most of what I’ve read deals with querying an XML document not creating the document itself.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
hi, what i got from your question is you want to create a XML document, where you are using your database to fetch data and want to use a language like perl. so that you can access data from database and can create XML document.I am right ??So, for this, I can suggest you to use "Apache velocity" you can google it. you will find some lib file, which you suppose to use during execution of your program.what apache velocity does is- its use simple language (VTL- velocity template language) like a English language. here you just need to create a template for XML file in which format you want you generated XMl file. and in Java code you can access information from your database.I am not sure Velocity support perl also, you have search for that. if you can use Java than no problem.Now how to use with java- if you need a sample demo or example. how to create XML file using velocity and Java. let me know or else you self find in apache.org.

hi, what i got from your question is you want to create a XML document, where you are using your database to fetch data and want to use a language like perl. so that you can access data from database and can create XML document.I am right ??So, for this, I can suggest you to use "Apache velocity" you can google it. you will find some lib file, which you suppose to use during execution of your program.what apache velocity does is- its use simple language (VTL- velocity template language) like a English language. here you just need to create a template for XML file in which format you want you generated XMl file. and in Java code you can access information from your database.I am not sure Velocity support perl also, you have search for that. if you can use Java than no problem.Now how to use with java- if you need a sample demo or example. how to create XML file using velocity and Java. let me know or else you self find in apache.org.
Ashvini, that's great. I sincerely appreciate your time and input.

Archived