Making a website "interactive"

MadFly

by interactive i mean that users can upload their own pictures and make a few posts etc etc...if someone could just give me a brief discription of how its done, or if its possible, and if not toooo complicated...im a newbie at this website html coding stuff...

im a newbie at this website html coding stuff...
Then it's probably way too complicated...You'll need to use a server side scripting language (asp, php or coldfusion...) and a database to keep all the posts and stuff.

ahahaha :) mmm i thought so...isnt there some php stuff that is precoded or something that i can implement and just make a few changes here and there???coz my whole website is currently html, but i would REALLY like to make it "interactive".my server has those php stuff, i mean, a forum runs on php right, so then i can just find out how and where to implement the php stuff on my main site...is there somewhere i can read up on this specifically? or could anyone perhaps post the details here, as to what i need to do....

by interactive i mean that users can upload their own pictures and make a few posts etc etc...if someone could just give me a brief discription of how its done, or if its possible, and if not toooo complicated...im a newbie at this website html coding stuff...
There's open source forum platforms like phpbb and open source blog platforms like wordpress. You can download and install them on your server and have a community of users like this forum, or a blog where you post messages and people comment and respond like dustin diaz's website.

i have a forum...but i want to implement that picture uploading and posting and stuff on my "mainsite" frontend...but ill probably just leave it as it is at the moment and over a few years... i do the changes and stuff i want...its all a bit tooooo complicated for me at the moment, but ill read up some stuff, but ill just leave it as is for now...

There are open source applications for everything you need, but they won't work together. You would have to login to each one individually to post in the forum, or upload pictures, or whatever. As forums go, the most popular one is probably phpbb, and for galleries the only one I've worked with is Coppermine. I made a small gallery myself that would be good for a small community, you can download that here:http://manchine.net/steve/files/gallery.zipOpen the index.php file with a text editor and read the instructions on the top for setup.

It depends on what you mean by interractive, I have a gustbook and a feedback page, which used to run using a simple mailto code, however, I was told about the many disadvantages and I found out about them first hand as well, this really isn't the way forward, I have now converted both my feedback and guestbook to CGI Perl scripts, and so now most if not all of my problems have been solved. If you would like to view my guestbook and add a post, or my feedback, just follow the links below:http://home.btconnect.com/shapemakingclub/feedback.htmlhttp://home.btconnect.com/shapemakingclub/addpost.html

Yes that is what i want....with a html page, where all the posts are displayed etc, and then i also want a feature where users can upload their own pictures, and so on and so on...holmedwa04, could you give me some pointers as to setting up something in that line for me or a place where i can read up on it or something....?

I would just like not to have that moderation of posts....but help would really be appreaciated, if i could use that type of thing on my current website's template etc etc...

The script that I used only allows an email to be sent to me, which I then manually post to the website by changing the HTML coding, I am not sure whether this can be changed or whether you will have to use a different script. Sorry to not be of much assistance, would you like to view the basic script?You may like to start looking at PHP if you want things to upload automatically, but I am new to scripting and so I could be leading you in totally the wrong direction. :)

i would like to view the script, even though i know NOTHING about scripting, but i might to find a friend that might tell me what to change, and do where and how, and when and so on and so on... so that the posts are automatically added on a page...thanks...

That's not one script, that's several. You need the form that they fill out and submit to a processing page that will validate the information and add it to a database, the page that reads everything out of the database and organizes it on the page, and probably a script that lets someone review or delete the posts.

can you perhaps give me those scripts? or a place where i can download them, and then just edit them, with my information. or what ever need to be edited... :)what kind of scripts am i looking for?cgi perl?java?or what?

It depends what the server supports. If the server supports PHP, I would recommend using that.I don't know where you can download something like that, people typically make their own. That's what the PHP forum is here for, to give those people help. If you want to make one, you'll need to familiarize yourself with how PHP works and using PHP to connect to a database. That would be the first step.

:) wish there was just a script or something that i could edit with my information, and my server's name, etc...but ill try to start familiarizing myself with php, then try something...

im not looking for a forum, seeing as i allready have one...im looking for a page or two on my main website, where ppl can say something about the site, or make a few comments...holmedwa04, can i have a link to those scripts you are using pls, i just thought that it would be better to moderate all the posts, and then post them manually on the page... becuase of spam, or ads or what ever...my server supports "everything" php, mysql and much more, i dont know exactly what else, but i will find out wheather it supports a certain thing or not as soon as i try to implement it right...

I have created 2 html pages, one where you can make a "post" then click on submit then it goes to the other page, but the message that was typed and sumbitted doesn't show up on the 2nd page, where all the posts should be showing...

Its not all my code, i used someone's source code, and tried to make some changes, (i hope thats not illegal :) )But this is what im looking for, i dont know anything about php or html, but im trying....This is the code where the posts are made...========================================================================================================<html><head><title>Gee my 'n boodskappie</title><meta name="keywords" content=""/></head><LINK rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="img/style.css"><body bgcolor="#000066" link="blue" vlink="blue"><font size="3"><font face="Arial"><font color="black"><center><table border="0" cellpadding="100" cellspacing="0" width="85%" bordercolor="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><tr><td><BR><font size="5"> <center><b><u>Gee my 'n boodskappie</u></b><BR><BR></center><font size="4">Here i tell the ppl a little bit about why they should "sign" the guestbook and make a statement or whatever<BR><BR><FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="guestbook.html"><table border="0" width="100%"><tr><td height="40"><font size="6">Nickname:</td></tr><tr><td height="50"><INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="guestsname" SIZE="30"></td></tr><tr><td height="40"><font size="6">Post:</td></tr><tr><td><TEXTAREA NAME="guestspost" ROWS="10" COLS="120" style="font-family: arial;" onfocus="if (this.value=='type your message here') {this.value='';}" onblur="if (this.value=='') {this.value='type your message here';}">Type Your mesage here</TEXTAREA></td></tr><tr><td height="40"><center><BR><INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Submit Post" onclick="window.location='guestbook.html';">   <INPUT TYPE="reset" VALUE="Clear Post"></center></td></tr></form></table><BR><BR><center>______________________________________________________<BR><form> <input type="Button" value="Back" onclick="history.back()"> </form></center></td></tr></table></center></body></html>========================================================================================================And this is the code where the posts should be displayed========================================================================================================<b><u>Guestbook</u></b><BR><BR></center><font size="2">Here i tell ppl that it is very nice to sign my geustbook, and some other bs. <a href="signguestbook.html">Click Here</a>...or if you would like to just view it please continue.<BR><BR><table border="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr height=""><td><table width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="10"><tr><td width="70%" height="30"><center>Post:<center></td><td width="15%"><center>Entry Date:<center></td><td width="15%"><center>Entry Time:</center></td></tr><tr><td width="70%"></center></td></tr></table></center></body></html>

There's no PHP code there, you need PHP to receive the post and save it into the database, and then to display all the posts from the database (or a file if you aren't using a database). Your form tag submits to a .html file:<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="guestbook.html">Unless the server is set up to execute .html files as .php files, you need to change that to a PHP file. Also, when you have a submit button like this:<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Submit Post" onclick="window.location='guestbook.html';">It totally makes the form pointless, it doesn't submit the form at all. The only way that form will get submitted is if the user disables Javascript, if Javascript is enabled then the form will not submit, and the page will just go to guestbook.html. Remove the onclick event from the submit button.For instructions on how to process a form, read this topic:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=12509

Archived