Server to use with PHP

kurt.santo

I am not running any other web server (at least I did not install any one). Double-checked in my software list... What else could use port 80 or how would I find out?Kurt
I think Skype uses it by default. If you have that, you need to either uninstall it, or force it to use another port. I don't know how to do the later.But technically speaking, any program could use port 80. It's a matter of setting. It's just that web servers use that by default.You can find out which of your ports are opened by using a port scanner like this one. You can also do it Online on sites like this one, provided you're not behind a hardware firewall or a router. If you are, you're going to check that firewall or router, rather then your computer.Type in your browser "localhost" to see what's already running on port 80. If it's Apache, IIS or any other web server, you'll see a web page or at least some HTTP error (404, 500...). If not, you'll see an error message saying you need another program to view the page.

I think Skype uses it by default. If you have that, you need to either uninstall it, or force it to use another port. I don't know how to do the later.But technically speaking, any program could use port 80. It's a matter of setting. It's just that web servers use that by default.You can find out which of your ports are opened by using a port scanner like this one. You can also do it Online on sites like this one, provided you're not behind a hardware firewall or a router. If you are, you're going to check that firewall or router, rather then your computer.Type in your browser "localhost" to see what's already running on port 80. If it's Apache, IIS or any other web server, you'll see a web page or at least some HTTP error (404, 500...). If not, you'll see an error message saying you need another program to view the page.
Downloaded a free trial of Radmin and scanned for active servers. It kind of seemed to do nothing, so I wondered if you can test it differently in Radmin? Then I would also like to check the second link you gave me. How do I find out what my IP address is?Then then I enter http://localhost/ in my browser it says "It works". Also, each time I start up my computer a little error box comes up (same look as the one I deleted - previous post in this thread has info for that). How can I stop this? Do you think I have to re-install the whole schebang?Kurt

Downloaded a free trial of Radmin and scanned for active servers. It kind of seemed to do nothing, so I wondered if you can test it differently in Radmin? Then I would also like to check the second link you gave me. How do I find out what my IP address is?Then then I enter http://localhost/ in my browser it says "It works". Also, each time I start up my computer a little error box comes up (same look as the one I deleted - previous post in this thread has info for that). How can I stop this? Do you think I have to re-install the whole schebang?Kurt
RAdmin? I was talking about Advanced Port Scanner! RAdmin allows you to connect to another computer (that has the RAdmin client) and use it as if you were on that computer. It has nothing to do with port scanning.The site I gave you a link to should fill your IP adress by default. The text box is left for you to test another IP if you wish.If you see "It works" message, this should mean Apache has started correctly. To verify this, go to
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs

and edit the "index.html" file (which contains exactly that message). If when you go to localhost again, you see the new message, it means Apache IS working.

RAdmin? I was talking about Advanced Port Scanner! RAdmin allows you to connect to another computer (that has the RAdmin client) and use it as if you were on that computer. It has nothing to do with port scanning.The site I gave you a link to should fill your IP adress by default. The text box is left for you to test another IP if you wish.If you see "It works" message, this should mean Apache has started correctly. To verify this, go to
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs

and edit the "index.html" file (which contains exactly that message). If when you go to localhost again, you see the new message, it means Apache IS working.

Sorry, mate. I don't know where I got this one from. Download must have been close to suggested one...I changed the HTML file (on my computer it is under C:Apache\htdocs). It showed up with my update. Then I used the online check, but it says "IP address isn't responding on port 80 (http)". And this although I disabled my McAffee firewall. Then tried the port scanning software with range selected and default ports (as it is when you open software). It says for each port "Ports (scanned 0 of 1, opened 0, closed 0)". What does this mean? Then since I installed Apache this tiny pop-up saying "error" always appears when I start my PC? Why is that?Kurt

Apache is not very well (if at all) tested on Vista, so anything could happen.Your server is working. So what the heck? If others fail to connect to you, then worry about ports and firewalls.Try to disable the Windows Firewall if you haven't already (you should, since you use McAffee's firewall), or add httpd.exe (in Apache's "bin" folder") to the program exclusion list of Windows Firewall to automatically open any port Apache listens to.

Apache is not very well (if at all) tested on Vista, so anything could happen.Your server is working. So what the heck? If others fail to connect to you, then worry about ports and firewalls.Try to disable the Windows Firewall if you haven't already (you should, since you use McAffee's firewall), or add httpd.exe (in Apache's "bin" folder") to the program exclusion list of Windows Firewall to automatically open any port Apache listens to.
It is working now properly. I reinstalled Apache, which did the job. Days of the message "...make_socket could not bind to port 0.0.0.0:80, no listening socket available, shutting down..." are gone now:-) Cheers!!! You guys did a great job to guide me through the whole thing, learned a lot from this...Just a quick one: Each time I start the PC a little pop-up comes up saying "Error" with a cross underneath and a OK button. When I click the OK it closes and seems not to cause any trouble, but I have been told that this box should say sth like "the operation completed successful". Any ideas?Kurt

Go to Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and check the Event Viewer for error messages.
It says there "The BDFsDrv service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." What is a BDFsDrv service? Since it started coming up since I installed MySQL, Apache and PHP does this have sth to do with it?Kurt

Archived