Sending list to UDF

vchris

I have a table where I need to calculate the totals and subtotals. The way it is already done is adding the rows in the table straight from the query and then displaying the subtotal/total. Except now I set the isNull value to -1 instead of 0. Anyway I created a UDF where it will take a list as a parameter and add them if they are not -1 and return the answer. If I do something like #calculate_total("1,2,3,4")# it works great. When I try to use variables instead of values that's when it doesn't work.

<!--- Function to calculate totals ---><cffunction name="calculate_total" returntype="numeric">	<cfargument name="mynum" type="any" />	<cfset total = 0>	<!--- <cfset mynum = "1,2,3,4"> --->	<cfoutput>Listlen = #listlen(mynum)#</cfoutput>		<cfloop list="#mynum#" index="i">		<cfset total = total + i>	</cfloop>		<cfreturn total></cffunction>...#numberformat_en(calculate_total(release.airsta_v, release.airsto_v, release.airfug_v, release.airspi_v, release.airoth_v))#...

listlen of mynum is 1 and value -1.

you might try breaking up your output so that you do not have too many nested functions. you might need an evaluate function call in there also, like this:

<cfset vchris="#release.airsta_v#,#release.airsto_v#,#release.airfug_v#,#release.airspi_v#,#release.airoth_v#"><cfset vchris=calculate_total(vchris)><cfset vchris=numberformat_en(vchris)><cfoutput>#vchris#</cfoutput>

You might need:

<cfset vchris=calculate_total(evaluate(vchris))> in place of the second <cfset> statement.

Of course, once you get this worked out, you might make a UDF just for this purpose as well - one UDF can call another - so you don't have to repeat all the work each place/time you want the output.Hope that helps.

Well, I'll try to explain.First off, I think you did exactly what I would (and still) do which is make it work with a hard coded value and then say, hey all I gotta do now is substitute my value. Good approach.However, (and this is not bad) if whatever you did is already inside a # sign, then your variable is not gonna really been seen as that if its nested in an function. ColdFusion looks at the out # sign to instantiate the function and then the function is just literally translated since it doesn't know any better. That's when the "evaluate" (or eval if you want to save a few letters typing) function comes into play. It is used (most commonly) as a nested function to basically identify that what it contains is to be processed again by ColdFusion and to not be taken literally. Essentially, (in this case) it says, this is a variable now go get the value.Other uses of "evaluate" might be in a calculation of a variable and a number, like this:

#dateformat(evaluate(now() - 3),"mm/dd/yyyy")#

Here, ColdFusion needs to be told that "now()" is to be "evaluated" or processed as a variable before it can carry out the dateformat function.Hope that helps to explain it and doesn't confuse you more.

So you're saying that if I would've used something like #numberformat_en(calculate_total(evaluate(release.airsta_v), evaluate(release.airsto_v), evaluate(release.airfug_v), evaluate(release.airspi_v), evaluate(release.airoth_v)))#, it would've worked?

So you're saying that if I would've used something like #numberformat_en(calculate_total(evaluate(release.airsta_v), evaluate(release.airsto_v), evaluate(release.airfug_v), evaluate(release.airspi_v), evaluate(release.airoth_v)))#, it would've worked?
yes (conceptually) I'd have to actually try it. And to reduce your typing, you could have changed "evaluate" to "eval"

Archived