coding a game

Mr. Shadow

i dunno how many of you have seen online text based RPG games but if ya have do you know that is used to code them??? cause i'd like to make one but if i were to ask one of tha coders in tha games i play he'd just think i'mma try to hack it. so if ya know could ya tell me?

if you want to make something like darkthrone,com which i play, then you need a database, a big powerful server, php knowledge or some other server side scripting and an original idea that everyone will think "now thats a cool game".to me, building an online game seems like a huge project and possibly needs some college training for as well if you want to jump into the deep end.if you want something smaller..then javascript (which chocolate570 mentioned) or flash, but then you cant save the game.:)

There are many hosts that support server side scripting. In fact, every paid host supoorts some language. If the host supports MySQL this means that you can also get a database with your hosting plan. Of cource PHP is not the only solution to manipulate database and dynamical content. There are ASP(.NET), JSP, ColdFusion and many others perhaps(though they are not as popular as theese here).PHP on the other hand is most widely supported. Scince you can't be sure about your host, it's recommended to use PHP, but if you are serious about the game and have found a good host that supports other languages, there's no reason why not to write the game in that other language.