RoundedDesign

Synook

Hello all,Ages ago I came up with the name RoundedDesign, and it has had several incarnations since then. Most recently I have created a new site for one concept of it at http://www.roundeddesign.com/, and I would like to receive feedback on its design and content.N.B. As of last test the menu did not render properly in IE 6 (it was stacked vertiaclly instead of being along one line) and if this is still happening please tell me, any solutions would be great as well.N.T.B. Due to a typo, the copyright notice reads 2006 for a year, though this design was actually created in 2007 :)

You have an excellent name, since "rounded design" is by some professional designers, viewed as Web 2.0 design. You used a form to make the design?

You used a form to make the design?
The website's images were created in Adobe Fireworks (unprofessional, I know, but I find it easy to use), and I wrote the code by hand from scratch. Is that what you were asking?

The site is impossible to browse without JavaScript.Why not embed all text on one page and use JS to hide portions of it, as shown in this ALA article? You still get the benefit of the faster loading times and yet cleanness of the page, and the site is still good for users with JS disabled.

The website's images were created in Adobe Fireworks (unprofessional, I know, but I find it easy to use)
Who says Fireworks is not professional? It is, after all owned by the authors of Photoshop, and was made by the creators of two other professional web design programs - Flash and Dreamwaver (now owned by the same Photoshop authors, but that's just a detail). Fireworks is a great program, and I agree it's also easier to use then Photoshop. I don't have much skills with either, but I handle Fireworks better.

I like it. I think it looks good - just a tad bit bland like if it's missing some pizazz? But I think it's great and I think the fading content is a sleek touch. (Did you do this with Spry?)Suggestions:How about removing the slight bevel or inner glow you have in "RoundedDesign" ? I think (just my opinion) that it takes away from the 2.0"ness" a bit.How about a contrasting "light" color for the content area?Your menu, I know it's cliche or traditional 2.0 but maybe tabs? Overall I think it's good stuff. :)

The site is impossible to browse without JavaScript.Why not embed all text on one page and use JS to hide portions of it, as shown in this ALA article? You still get the benefit of the faster loading times and yet cleanness of the page, and the site is still good for users with JS disabled.Who says Fireworks is not professional? It is, after all owned by the authors of Photoshop, and was made by the creators of two other professional web design programs - Flash and Dreamwaver (now owned by the same Photoshop authors, but that's just a detail). Fireworks is a great program, and I agree it's also easier to use then Photoshop. I don't have much skills with either, but I handle Fireworks better.
I think he's trying to sell his skills, and I know that people should design sites to "conform to people who don't support this and that etc..." but for a designer trying to sell Javascript, CSS, XHTML I don't see any sense in someone who's looking for a designer - to not support it. :) Maybe after he's got the gig?

I think he's trying to sell his skills, and I know that people should design sites to "conform to people who don't support this and that etc..." but for a designer trying to sell Javascript, CSS, XHTML I don't see any sense in someone who's looking for a designer - to not support it. :) Maybe after he's got the gig?
Well, users can also disable JavaScript themselves even if they support it. And why disable it you ask? Slow internet connection is one reason. Old browsers (IE5-) are another. Nowaday JavaScript can actually crash those browsers. Believe me, I've seen it a few month or so ago (I didn't believed it myself).People that are looking for designers are not web developers/designers themselves, so that means they, as well as the end-users of any other sites, could be using an old browser that doesn't support those stuff or disable JS in a newer one. I sure know people that still use Windows 98 (and man, I know A LOT of them), and I also know some with slow internet connection (Dial-up or a LAN connection with Dial-up like speed). The ones with the slow internet connection are rarely if ever aware that they could turn JS off though (since people that are curious enough to find that stuff are also curious enough to find out they can upgrade to a newer IE or switch to FF altogether), but after they meet me, they usually are :) .Also, who know what device those people might be browsing from. If you're a business man looking for a designer, you may be on the go and search from your mobile phone, in which JavaScript support is not that great if at all available.

Not that it really matters - or maybe it does - but search engines will never see your site with the navigation relying on javascript. Other than that, everything seems good for a personal portfolio page. If I'd have to pick on anything it would be the main navigation. You could squeeze it together and align it to the left - then aligned to the right you could italic your slogan or motto. That would get your name in text format rather than an image - making it more visible to search engines and to anyone who would want to copy and paste the name as a side note.

• 2 months later...

I like the new design (maybe too much black!), simple and fast. I suggest you to kepp that design all over the site (forum, tut system, etc). Oh, I've seen that Chat system is really fast and simple. Nice work!

Archived